Defender Source Forum banner

Head Gasket

Tags
gas
3K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  bjf 
#1 ·
I was driving my 90 the other night and the temp gauge climbed up to just below the red. It stayed there (not in the red) for a bit (stop and go). I pulled over and parked for three hours. I then drove the car 25 miles and it never got passed the middle.

I towed the truck to a garage. They said the thermostat was opening as it should and there were no hot spots on the radiator indicating it would be clogged. They said they let the truck run for a half hour sitting and the temp gauge stayed dead in the middle. As soon as they drove it a block the gauge went to the red.

Now they said they tried to check the head gasket but my system is over pressurized and their test failed as coolant kept rushing in for whatever that means.

So does that sound like the head gasket went? If so would you recore the radiator at the same time and do I have to machine the heads? Could it be something else?

#36 ·
Odd that this problem came back a year later. Bringing it back to the shop tomorrow. They were going to do a pressure test over night to see if it loses pressure. So far the coolant didn't have any oil and hydrocarbon test showed no issues.

I would think that if my head gasket was leaking the radiator wouldn't have helped and an issue would have presented itself in the last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.