Head Bolt with Alternator Stud, Is It Needed? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 25th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Head Bolt with Alternator Stud, Is It Needed?

Is there a way of not having to use this bolt? I am changing my head gaskets with composite head gaskets (stock 3.9L motor). The kit comes with all the required stretch bolts except the head bolt with the alternator stud. This stud is not a stretch bolt, it is torqued differently. I would rather use a stretch bolt instead. It looks like the 4.6L's on ECR's site do not use this bolt. Any thoughts?

Wish me lots of luck on this project!!!

Cheers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03540 resized.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	15959  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Here's the deal on that whole lower row of head bolts. They actually CAUSE more problems than they resolve. When they switched to the composite gasket, they also removed that whole row from the design. Make sure to use the revised torque specs for that row of bolts..... or just don't even put them in there. The new torque specs are used to fill the holes, and keep the bolts in place, but not actually put any significant pressure on the head.

When I did the same thing, the first time I used that bolt and just torqued it to 20lbs. But I think that making the clearance cut in the gasket for that row of bolts may have caused the failure of that gasket. The 2nd time, I just left that whole lower row out, including the alternator stud.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Question

Thanks for the input, however the alternator head bolt/stud is not part of the outer 4 bolts. My engine does not have the outer 4 bolts, in fact these holes are not in either head. My engine has 10 bolts per head. Does the alternator bracket NEED to fastened here? I was thinking of using the supplied stretch head bolt here and letting the alternator bracket tab rest on the head bolt. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03539 resized.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	15961  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Whoops, my bad..... it had been a while since I've done it.

Now that I recall, I used the ARP head studs on mine, not the normal bolts. I just drilled the hole in the mount larger in order to fit it over the top of the stud, and I didn't secure it with an additional nut.

Old October 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Gotcha...

Do you think I will be ok to let the bracket tab rest on top of the strech bolt head?

Old October 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That's basically what mine's doing now for a few years without issue.

It's still beefier than most Chevy alternator brackets I've ever seen.

Old October 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Thank Hans!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator