HD axles question - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

got my rovertracks shafts today. they got here right about dinner time, so I only had a second to mess with them. i have 2 questions. my broken axle shaft is stuck in the axle.... any easy way to get this out? second question, do i need a gasket between the drive flange and the axle housing?
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Will you be replacing the bearings also? Seems like a good idea if you are there already.
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
the bearings are quite robust. unless there is a noticeable problem they are fine to reuse. replacing them every time you take the hubs off would get pretty expensive. Not a bad idea to pack them with grease and change the seal though.

That said you shouldn't need to get the hubs off to remove a halfshaft. That's for lesser vehicles with semi-floating axles.

And no on the gasket, just clean both surfaces well and use RightStuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Will you be replacing the bearings also? Seems like a good idea if you are there already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:36 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

To get the broken bit out, use a telescoping magnet. Tractor Supply sells them for like $4.00, or you can get a nice one that has a bit more "oomph" to it from Craftsman or Snap-on -- and some of the models have a little LED light in the end of them.

If the broken bit is jammed in the diff and will not slip out with the magnet, you will need to tear the opposite side of the axle down, and use something long and skinny to push the broken piece out. Might even take a tap or two with a hammer.

As for the gasket, you do not need a paper gasket. Just use Right Stuff, or your favorite gasket goo.
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
If the broken bit is jammed in the diff and will not slip out with the magnet, you will need to tear the opposite side of the axle down, and use something long and skinny to push the broken piece out. Might even take a tap or two with a hammer.

If this is a stock carrier you would have to remove the through pin that holds the planet gears in in order for something long and skinny to pass through the center of the carrier and drift the axel on the other side. This would involve removing the carrier from the axel housing.
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespierce View Post
If this is a stock carrier you would have to remove the through pin that holds the planet gears in in order for something long and skinny to pass through the center of the carrier and drift the axel on the other side. This would involve removing the carrier from the axel housing.
No it wouldn't.
Old February 26th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Does Rovertracks sell Heavy duty shafts (rear and front) and CV's for D110's as well?
I do not really know if they differ from D90 shafts and CV's.
Are they more or less comparable to Ashcroft regarding quality? Sounds like they do, despite being a bit cheaper.
Thanks
Stgo
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:27 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I do, they'll fit, yours are same as the axles in my 110. I catch up with your mail soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Does Rovertracks sell Heavy duty shafts (rear and front) and CV's for D110's as well?
I do not really know if they differ from D90 shafts and CV's.
Are they more or less comparable to Ashcroft regarding quality? Sounds like they do, despite being a bit cheaper.
Thanks
Stgo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info. I like the answer! (YES)
I will wait for your complete answer to my other e-mail.
Cheers,
Stgo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle