hazzard switch source part #AFU4209L - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Shawn
1994 Defender 90

hazzard switch source part #AFU4209L

I need a new hazard switch for my 1994 NAS Defender 90. Rovers North doesn't have one and there are none currently on ebay. Anyone know a source? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:40 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
It looks like the part may have been superseded to YUF101830
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
IIRC the last time I tried to get one through Land Rover they had been made obsolete.
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

LR have listed prity much all parts earlier than a D2 as obsolete, if you can find a NOS Lucas get it otherwise it's an after market one.
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Fwiw soon I should have a mod out (along with an updated face plate milled from aluminum) that will allow you to switch over to the Carling hazard fairly seamlessly (prototype pic below...obviously will be powdercoated/etc when done). So the config will be:
Carling Hazard / Square NAS clock / round factory 12v or BlueSea usb.

That said - what is actually "wrong" with your current switch? Awhile back I took mine apart and cleaned & lines with dielectric grease and it's been good to go since.

However, even if you fix your current switch I've always felt the NAS Hazard was under-designed and prone to breaking or having issues (hence the Carling upgrade project that's been in the works).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	96488  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 9th, 2014, 08:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is not broken. Take it apart and clean it and it will be fine. In fact, pushing it in and out ten times usually works too.
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:47 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I bought a replacement switch and discovered the replacement is poorly made so I replaced mine with a Carling hazard switch. They provided the wiring diagram with the switch. The Carling switch is much better made.
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Were those same switches used for other reasons on the pre 1994 RRC? Just because the appearance is similar doesn't mean they'll work, but sometimes cross checking other models results in success.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rove...item43cac76e93

Here is an old fs thread for one of those switches: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...d.php?p=446461

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Were those same switches used for other reasons on the pre 1994 RRC? Just because the appearance is similar doesn't mean they'll work, but sometimes cross checking other models results in success.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rove...item43cac76e93

Here is an old fs thread for one of those switches: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...d.php?p=446461
From what I recall based on my prior searches - though don't quote me on this in case my memory ain't what it used to be - is that they are NOT compatible.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 25th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Raddy
David
1997 D90 ST BELUGA BLACK

Hello Everyone,

I am now looking for a hazard switch AFU4209L. If anyone knows of where to find one, please let me know.

Looking ASAP

Thank you!
Old January 25th, 2017, 05:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am now looking for a hazard switch AFU4209L. If anyone knows of where to find one, please let me know.

Looking ASAP

Thank you!
Unless you're dead-set on the factory hazard switch for some reason, I'd suggest changing to the Carling Hazard as I alluded to above. It's a pretty easy swap, and going to a Carling means you will actually have a hazard switch that "works" when you need it.

Also, if yours is not functioning at the moment, try taking it apart and cleaning it as mentioned above. Alternatively, if you just have lost your turn-signals completely due to the switch failing, here's a temporary bypass trick I posted here that will buy you some time:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...als-50482.html
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 25th, 2017, 06:05 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

We have 7 in stock. Not cheap but we have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy View Post
Hello Everyone,

Looking ASAP

Thank you!

Old January 25th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Raddy
David
1997 D90 ST BELUGA BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Unless you're dead-set on the factory hazard switch for some reason, I'd suggest changing to the Carling Hazard as I alluded to above. It's a pretty easy swap, and going to a Carling means you will actually have a hazard switch that "works" when you need it.

Also, if yours is not functioning at the moment, try taking it apart and cleaning it as mentioned above. Alternatively, if you just have lost your turn-signals completely due to the switch failing, here's a temporary bypass trick I posted here that will buy you some time:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...als-50482.html
Thank you Jason, It was good speaking with you over phone.

Looking forward to having this installed
Old January 26th, 2017, 02:22 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Unless you're dead-set on the factory hazard switch for some reason, I'd suggest changing to the Carling Hazard as I alluded to above. It's a pretty easy swap, and going to a Carling means you will actually have a hazard switch that "works" when you need it. Also, if yours is not functioning at the moment, try taking it apart and cleaning it as mentioned above. Alternatively, if you just have lost your turn-signals completely due to the switch failing, here's a temporary bypass trick I posted here that will buy you some time: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...als-50482.html
This.

A few weeks ago I was having a turn signal issue. I finally tracked it down to the hazard switch (which was new for this build although not genuine). I ordered the Carling parts from Jason, changed out the stock plug and now everything works how it is supposed to. The Carling hazard is much easier to switch and visually doesn't get lost in the lower dash. SDO sells the correct clips and backing plate so the wiring will look factory when down as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part, switch