hazard switch wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
hazard switch wiring

electrical experts needed! I have a euro spec bulkhead in my NAS 110 now, and it came with a late 90's 300tdi harness. I do know it's a high amp LHD type that came wired for A/C. I don't have my original harness anymore, and I'm trying to fit a hazard switch. I don't know exactly what harness I have, and I can't seem to find any connection on it for a hazard switch. I bought a new hazard switch from RN (part #AFU4209L) but it has male bullet prongs on it, and i have nothing to guide me on hooking it up, nor do I have any idea how the leads should connect to the male prongs on this switch. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Early Tdi harness will have the hazard plug near the wiper motor cover. Later ones it is in the center dash area.
Look for a black plug with green/white, green/red, purple, etc wires coming out of it.
The euro switches go where the NAS cars have the dash illumination dimmer switch.
If you find the connector then let me know and I can give you the correct switch #.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have that hazard switch (lower dash section by the knee). Bought it for a project and elected not to use it. Don't have the PN but it is the black one, fits in the location Mike speaks of. Has all of the male prongs on the back. Paid $16 for it.

Let me know.

Edit:
PN ASU1009
It's a common switch for Mini's, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Mike,
Got an email from pendy, and he said that the plug is in the location you described right now, with a jumper to allow my signals to work. Haven't pulled the cover off so Haven't seen it, but you sound right on. Pendy told me the harness connector for it is the 8 pin type (don't know what that means yet). I bought an NAS hazard switch from RN, and after seeing it, suspect I'll be returning it shortly.

David,
I'll buy yours if it's the right part. Can you post a pic of it to confirm? I'll post a pic of my plug connector as well.
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Pic. No sweat, let me know.
Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2007, 08:37 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would like to wire up the 2002 style hazzard switch to my truck which also has the same euro hazzard switch. Is it possible Mike?
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

That picture is the correct hazard switch for the early style, and you are right the NAS switch (square type) won't work. That Euro switch should do the trick and will plug right into your wiper motor cover and harness.

I've done a number of "NAS" to "new Euro" dash conversions, like this:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/161.html

but never tried a "old Euro" to "new Euro" conversion of the hazard wiring. I assume it can be done no problem, but just haven't done it myself so I'm not sure what wires are on the early Euro harness, but it should be a piece of cake like it is with the "NAS" to " new Euro".

Old January 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, I still have to call you about that plug for the New style Switch. I will then try to figure out the wiring I guess..
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Connectors for the late model hazard switch have gone out of production (at least from my supplier).

Old January 11th, 2007, 10:43 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

David M's picure looks right for the connector. I'll half to double check after I'm off house arrest-surgery.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
David, I'll send a PM.
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:34 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike, do you mean you can not get the plug for the 2002 and newer style switch or the NAS D-90 one?
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Since LR stopped using that hazard switch (the roughly 2004 Euro spec. one) with the advent of the "new" Defender, the manufacture stopped making the connector for the 2004ish hazard switch. They still have the switch, but not the connector anymore.

Never had to try to get an NAS hazard switch connector. Doubt those can be had either nless you cut if off an existing harness.

I've got the schematic for the conversion and wiring, but weren't you going to start selling dash update kits???
I'm happy to provide folks with free info for their Rovers, but if you are going to profit from a dash update kit you'll need to do your own research (I always have to).

Old January 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL.. This is for my truck only. Mine goes from euro switch to 2002 style switch shich no one really has on ths board. I might have a tip on the plug for the 2002 switch though. I will let you know if I do though. Right now, I just have my switch in there to fill the hole and the euro switch works the hazzards on my truck. I would like to get it together one day to work correctly.
As for the kits, Its just the dash parts needed. I don't get involved in electrics. Don't want to burn anyones truck to the ground.. lol For that, they are on there own.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Not to hijack this thread but...
for the dash conversion how did you solve the vent flap control issue? The new style (round knob) controls have a longer throw than the NAS vent levers and when mated to the metal sub-dash on an NAS Defender they won't close the vent flaps all the way. We had to make different arms on them to get them to seal correctly.
or does your kit retain the NAS vent flap controls?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01968.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	7853  

Old January 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sure wish I knew the part number for the main wiring harness ECR used for its 300tdi restorations...

I know I've asked you before Mike, I just wanted to toss out a subtle reminder, though maybe you'd have the info handy since you are in the middle of another NAS100 to 300tdi resto.

Old January 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have just installed the updated metal sub-dash to the new style. It only needs minor alterations to bolt right up to the NAS bulkhead.. Mike, why don't you guys use the Bunnel silver dash facia in your builds? It looks much better in my opinion. I have the part # if you need it.
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Hijack away Mike! I got my help resolved. Thanks all!
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
I have just installed the updated metal sub-dash to the new style. It only needs minor alterations to bolt right up to the NAS bulkhead.. Mike, why don't you guys use the Bunnel silver dash facia in your builds? It looks much better in my opinion. I have the part # if you need it.
Thats a hell of a "kit" for a DIY guy. We use the new sub dash in the restos, but for folks that just wanted the updated dash and not break the bank it was easier to modify the sub dash as that means a lot less tear down on the car (therefore less $$).
As for dash color... I don't like anything bright on a dash. It tends to catch my eye too much, especially if the top was off. I'll install the other color if a customer desires it, but if they leave it up to me they get dark colors, clean and simple.
Its a personal choice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch, wiring