Hazard/Directional issue (NAS D90) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:02 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Hazard/Directional issue (NAS D90)

Hey folks,

I have an issue where my hazard flasher doesn't work. When the ignition is off and the button is pressed nothing happens. When the ignition is on, nothing happens..but when the directionals are flashing (one side or the other), depressing the hazard button shuts them off until it is released, then the directional starts flashing again. I thought I had a bad switch, so I ordered a new one from Rovers North. Funny thing is, when I replaced it not only did the hazard flasher not work, but the directionals were non-functional. I replaced the new switch with the original and now the directionals work but I'm back to square one with a non-working hazard flasher system. I'm guessing I got a bad switch from RN, as it should have at least produced the same symptoms as the old switch did if there was a wiring or relay issue elsewhere. Does this issue ring a bell with anyone? Any ideas as to where I can look next- relay perhaps? If so, where is it? Didn't see anything readily apparent behind the hazard/clock/cig lighter panel.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2010, 03:30 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

bump
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:29 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post
Hey folks,

I have an issue where my hazard flasher doesn't work. When the ignition is off and the button is pressed nothing happens. When the ignition is on, nothing happens..but when the directionals are flashing (one side or the other), depressing the hazard button shuts them off until it is released, then the directional starts flashing again. I thought I had a bad switch, so I ordered a new one from Rovers North. Funny thing is, when I replaced it not only did the hazard flasher not work, but the directionals were non-functional. I replaced the new switch with the original and now the directionals work but I'm back to square one with a non-working hazard flasher system. I'm guessing I got a bad switch from RN, as it should have at least produced the same symptoms as the old switch did if there was a wiring or relay issue elsewhere. Does this issue ring a bell with anyone? Any ideas as to where I can look next- relay perhaps? If so, where is it? Didn't see anything readily apparent behind the hazard/clock/cig lighter panel.

I'm not sure why you had a change of symptoms with the new switch

The problem with the Hazard Flashers sounds as though you have no power on the permanent live Purple wire on Pin 2 of the switch connector.

See my post, in this thread -

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&postcount=38

In which, I've posted the wiring diagram and switch connector for the Hazards and indicators.

If there is power on the Purple wire - then I would be looking at the electronic flasher unit next, as the possible cause of the problem.

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, nas