Defender Source Forum banner

Hawes Fairlead or Roller Fairlead?

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Red90 
#1 ·
Just getting ready to buy my winch rope for my 8274. which fairlead should I go with? Pros and cons of each ?

#5 ·
Either is fine. The Hawes is smaller, cheaper, and lighter. Seems like a no brainer.

#13 ·
FWIW, Bill Burke says use a roller fairlead with synthetic too. With a hawse there is constantly friction against the rope. With a roller, there isn't. Yes there is the possibility of getting it wedged between the rollers, which he says has only happened to him one or two times in many years of winching, but he says if you are paying attention and take proper measures it shouldn't and the line will be in better condition in general.

I don't have a personal opinion on this yet as I have never owned a winch. Truth be told I'll likely get a hawse when I do though :)

#14 ·
Watch the plastic...the pic below is the aftermath of this weekend's off center line pull. Bear in mind I've had this setup on the truck for 2 years and countless winchings, but still-the worst part was the line ended up wedged in there and was a bit of a PITA to get out. I'll be switching to aluminum.
r-
Ray

Attachments

#15 ·
ditto on that. have had the same thing happen with side pulls on plastic hawse fairleads. best to avoid both :)

Ray_G said:
Watch the plastic...the pic below is the aftermath of this weekend's off center line pull. Bear in mind I've had this setup on the truck for 2 years and countless winchings, but still-the worst part was the line ended up wedged in there and was a bit of a PITA to get out. I'll be switching to aluminum.
r-
Ray

#18 ·
I saw that article in a RN Newsletter also about the hawse fairleads. Steering me away from them.
You can probably argue for either one, but since I have rollers already, it makes my decision much simpler.

I've been told if you have a new winch setup with new steel rollers, you should be fine putting synthetic. The problem comes if you are replacing a steel line with synthetic. The steel line creates nicks and burrs on the rollers that could cause the synthetic to fray.

Best bet if you are replacing your line with synthetic, go with replacement derlin rollers.
Here is a nice link to the different options
http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.htm

#19 ·
The more I read about it, the least decided I am about what to do.

I have a used synthtic rope, a used aluminium hawse fairlead and a new roller fairlead.
The things is that because the the Milemarker drum is slightly displaced to one side (not on the centre of the vehicle) I will have to modify the bumper in order to install the aluminium hawse fairlead. Beacause the roller fairlead is considerably wider, I think I can fit the roller fairlead without major modifications to the existing bumper.

Are roller fairleads always wider than aluminium hawse fairleads ( mine is 7 inches wide).

#21 ·
Red90 said:
Aluminum hawse for synthetic. It works great. The fairleads do not wear and it does not damage the rope at all.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Red90rover/DSC00480.jpg
Yes,

I gotta say, with synthetic ropes, rollers are pointless. Even plastic ones. They dent easily, the metal holding them can smash. The winch line can get chewed up in the corners. And they hurt approach angle. Go AL like in the pic and be done with it. They are like $15 on ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.