Has anyone installed Webasto or Espar heater? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Jim...how long have you set your warm up time to be? I successfully programmed mine to start at 6am this morning and it ran for 30min but I'm thinking 45-60min might be better, especially when things drop below 0 degrees...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've got it set for about 1.5 hours. At 70 degrees, the engine is warm after 20 minutes (from my testing during install). At 40 degrees, its fully warm in less than an hour. So when the temp really dips, I think that 1.5 will be adequate.
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

post install follow up...

Thought I'd just post my reactions after using the Espar Hydronic 5 for a few weeks...

first...it is great to get into the truck on a 6 degree F. morning and have heat right away...definitely neat.

it also does help with my original problem which was crawling along in rush hour traffic and not having enough heat...it gets the engine back up to toasty and keeps it there, thereby keeping the heater working.

Interesting also, is that it heats up and melts ice on the windshield just by convection heating (2 hours worth) even without having the fan running...also neat.

The muffler does work very well and quiets it down a lot...it was worth it for my parking situation...

although install wasn't trivial...it seems a worthwhile addition to diesel winter time comfort.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I have an older Espar in my truck but it was not working when I bought it. I have been through a few winters without it but it would be nice to get it running again. Is anyone aware of online owner manuals or instalation directions?
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Like this one?

They are fully rebuildable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hydronic4_5.pdf (973.9 KB, 161 views)
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
it also does help with my original problem which was crawling along in rush hour traffic and not having enough heat...it gets the engine back up to toasty and keeps it there, thereby keeping the heater working.
So, you are having no problems with it running while driving? I hear conflicting reports about whether they can be operated while driving or not.
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Like this one?

They are fully rebuildable.
Thanks, mine is a little different. I just found a good rebuild article on a VW site.
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

John, I followed Pendy's advice and installed a dedicated pick up for the Espar. No problem running while driving...works great!
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:15 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I think an Eberspacher or Webasto would be a great addition, and I was going to do that this fall but decided with some cheaper and easier mods first to see if they do the trick. Last winter I bought a radiator muff from Rovers North and that helped a lot. This fall I put in a higher temperature thermostat and that's made a big difference too. I also just put in a 110V recirculating coolant heater from Kim Hotstart. Actually I had a local shop do it as my workshop isn't heated, and I think they plumbed it into the wrong place. I'm pretty sure it needs to be parallel to the thermostat and right now it mostly seems to be heating up the fluid in my remote reservoir. Anyway, my hope is that that will get around the problem of my windshield freezing on the inside and the engine not warming up enough on idle to clear it off. It will at least do that when I'm at home or somewhere I can plug it in.

I also had my heater core flushed out last week and the guy said it was pretty dirty. I haven't driven it enough since then to know how much of a change that's made. I also installed heated seats but have yet to hook them up.

With a baby on the way, I may end up putting an auxiliary heater core in the back of the truck to keep the rear warmer. My viscous fan clutch is dead anyway so at some point before next summer I'll replace it with an electric, I think, which will also marginally help the truck heat up faster. A diesel-fired air heater would be a nice addition, but with the changes I made the truck warms up pretty quickly now and I'm fairly happy with it.

Even if I get a diesel-fired heater later, I'll still be happy to have heated seats, a more efficient heater core, and a recirculating coolant heater (nicer on the engine) so I feel like it's not lost effort.

One thing that I feel dumb to mention but didn't occur to me all last winter is that if you have snow and ice all over the heater intake vent, it stops the heater from running at full flow. Duh. Additionally, it pulls the snow and ice into the core, melts it and blows steamy hot air all over your windshield, which promptly freezes the water all over the inside of the windshield. Just taking the time to clean my vent off before starting the truck is helping the truck warm up faster and deposit less condensation on the windscreen. If/when I crack my windscreen I'll also spend the extra on a heated replacement.

- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater, webasto