Has any one installed a VDO oil pressure sender on the '97 - 4.0? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Has any one installed a VDO oil pressure sender on the '97 - 4.0?

I purchased a LR to vdo oil pressure sender adapter from Rob this last week and attempted to install the vdo sender today. ( I had already installed the gauge and the wiring all the way down to the stock oil pressure switch located on timing cover on the '97 4.0 motor. It turns out that there isn't a good mechanical fit for the fitting I bought from Rob, as well as flat out not enough room to install the sender. The '97 runs a serpintine belt with a specilized bracket to hold the belt tensioner - which is not found on the 3.9 liter motor. This bracket and its attachement fittings prohibit a direct connect for the sender.

I believe that a simple 90 or 45 elbow will solve most of the problem - but I still did not have a good clean fit on the oil hole oriface to adaptor interface. It looks like the oriface on the timing cover is machined and not flat to permit a good "O" ring seal. ( the edges of the adaptor crape the inside of this machined out area).

Even when I asked Rob about the '97 motor he was exactly sure where the oil pressure switch was on the 4.0 so I know he has hasn't done this job before - does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Len,

Post some pics of where the oil pressure switch is located. I just installed a VDO oil pressure gauge and sender on mine, although I have a 3.9L. I had to buy a special adapter from Parker Hydraulics to installed the sender. The sender has 1/8NPT male threads and the oil pump housing has 1/2-20 (#5 O-ring) female threads. Refer to my write-up in the "Small Projects" section.

Good luck...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Mike

Thanks - that is exactly what I did before I started my project - the only problem is that the 4.0 motor has the oil pressure oriface too several inches up above the oil fileter housing hardware and it is too close to a bracket for the belt tensioner / alternator. If you know of anyone who has don this on a the 4.0 could you send them my way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
You might try a 45deg or 90 deg elbow from the oil pump housing to the sender. Or if that will not work, use an elbow with a steel tube leading to your sending unit. If you post a pic, someone on this board, or myself might be able to come up with some ideas.

Good luck...

Cheers...

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:18 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I am bringing this up from the dead in hopes that someone worked out a solution.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Bump... no one has done a oil pressure guage on a 97?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:17 AM
Cmikefly
William Challancin
97 NAS D90

Yes it can be done on a 97. You will need the following:

Male #5 O ring boss to Female 1/8NPT
Male 1/8NPT to Male AN-3
A few feet of AN-3 braded hose
AN-3 straight hose end (2X)
Male AN-3 to Female 1/8NPT

This will allow you to remotely mount you sending unit giving the clearance required on the 4.0 engine. I have had this setup for some time with no problems. Depending on the sending unit used you can still have the idiot light as mentioned in previous posts.

With the exception of the O-ring boss, all fittings are available at Summit Racing.

hopes this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00806.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	25933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00807.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	25934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00811.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	25935  

1997 NAS D90
2005 110 TD5
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Len,
Not sure if this will help but here goes. I have 3.9 so I was trying to figure out where to put an adapter for oil temperature and for oil pressure. Hmmm what to do. I went on ebay and a guy is selling a milled aluminum adapter for VW bus that allows 3 senders to be installed (1 to 3). O.k. so I got the adapter now you to make it work. The adapter receives oil from the bottom and all of the sender fittings are 90 degrees from the oil feed. I drilled out the old sender, got a little piece of pipe thread and screwed the pipe thread piece into the sender. Once I got the adapter in place which will know put any sender parralel to the mounting surface, I then proceeded to screw in the sender. I will try to get some pics up today.
Clay
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:30 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know where to find the o ring boss?

I am assuming to keep the idiot oil light functional, you would have to get a sending unit that had two places for a signal (one for the idiot light and one for the new gauge)?

------ Follow up post added March 29th, 2010 12:48 PM ------

Is this the o ring boss that I would need?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBM2722/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags