Hard top window rubber - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hard top window rubber

HI,

I searched for this item in the forum - could not find it. I feel like it has been discussed before, so if someone can send me to the thread that would be great.............I feel like someone said there was a special tool???

----------------------------------------------

I have a 1995 D90 that has sat outside its whole life. It has a fiberglass Hardtop that has been on for 10+ years. The rubber arround the windows is hard......It is not leaking yet - but I am wondering if it was going to. I don't think I can save it with products.......I should have been doing this for years.

Can these seals be replaced easilly? Should they be, or should I wait until leaks occur? I see what looks like this rubber in the Rover North Catalouge - but it is for an Alum. Hardtop and I do not know if the windows are all the same size?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2007, 05:54 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The window rubber for all the windows on the fiberglass top are the same as the alpine window and rear window rubber on Station Wagons - you just need a piece long enough. RDS probably sells it in large rolls. There is a special tool, I forget the number, but searching for "alpine windows" will probably bring it a thread with the info. Thats usually the context.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

The tool is essential. You can order the right one from a number of glass suppliers, with out it you will get pissed quick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I had an auto glass shop guy come out and do mine at my house - including the new gasket it was $30 per side and looks like new. It was hardly worth my effort for the convenience and that price to do it myself...
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Jason -
Did you do the alpine window and the side windows. How about the rear window? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Does any basic autoglass place have the tools to do this............

How do you know when you NEED to replace them? Mine are HARD - but not leaking..........

Flagg
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I just did the alpine windows, but it looks like the same gasket to me. Not all window glass places do it, but it's a fairly generic gasket material (the guy had to get some from his supplier) that comes in a big roll... they have all the tools needed to do it. I think it took him about 15 minutes per window for mine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hard top, rubber, window