Hard Top Struts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Hard Top Struts

Anyone have a source for replacement gas struts for the back door of a fiberglass hardtop?

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I got some from RDS.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks, Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Pep Boys
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Have a part number or cross reference? They weren't willing to start measuring what they had in stock. Shockingly, "1994 d-90 fiberglass hardtop strut" wasn't in their database.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
At the Pep Boys where I used to go, they were all hanging in an isle. Do you not have one for comparison? Some have ball joints at both ends some have eyes, you just need one with ball at one end and an eye at the other.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Have one for comparison, though the local parts places are far more interested in displaying their wide and varied selection of air fresheners, cheap ricer fog lights, neon tubes to show off the underside of your '92 Accord and gas additives. Additionally, communicating with the employees is sometimes . . . challenging. Part numbers for an online order would be a wonderful thing if at all possible.

Or I'll just call George. At least he's a lot more entertaining to talk to than your average auto parts store clerk.
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:45 PM
bricaurte
B R
1994 D90

Done and done.

RDS doesn't have them. He didn't sell enough to make it worth getting them.
So I went to Pep Boys and they had a ton of them on the racks. Same brand as OEM.
Thanks Jim for the recomendation and Tony for posting this question for me.

BTW...I don't think I've ever been to Pep Boys...there are few of them in the Northern VA area. Is it me or does Pep Boys kick the holy crap out of Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. At least the Pep Boys I went to was much larger, nicer, had more selection and more in stock than any Autozone/AAP I've been to.
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM
bricaurte
B R
1994 D90

I spoke too soon. I couldn't find an exact match at Pep Boys but the one I bought was about 1/4 inch longer. It should work as long as it extends and compresses to the necessary lengths, but the compression rate was too high and the liftgate would not stay closed. So back to the search.
Atlantic British didn't have them. Olympus, which carries the same brand could only search by make/model/year which wasn't going to work and I had no luck searching anywhere else for the part number on the original strut. So I called up Rovers North and they had them. $50. Exact match.
It's a Stabilus Lift-O-Mat. The number printed on it is the same as the original I have - 8038DB 0100N
The Rover part number is ALR 8360
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Out by me, Pep-Boys is a total waste of my time. If you don't want big tailpipes, bedliners, or one of the 75 different mini-motorcycles they have on the floor.... then there just ain't much in there to look at for me. They may be big, and have a lot to look at, but so does my dads cow pasture and I can at least separate the beef from the crap a lot easier.

Good rule of thumb, never buy car parts from a guy in a tie or any place where they have dedicated cashiers. I'll stick with "Parts World" around the corner from me, or Napa if they ever rebuild the building (it got burned down last week).

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Kneel
Neil Flanagan
94 D90 ST #1092

I purchased mine from JWF Technologies a few years back for $72 per pair shipped, part# 752940 as found on Ye Olde Part Substitution List

They have a website...
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:50 PM
tomdavey_III
Thomas Davey
1994/Defender 90

Man, what difference +10yrs makes in price...
Stealership (ALR8360) wants $170 each,
Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories (ALR8360) wants $110 each,
Parts for Series, Defender, Discovery, Range Rover, LR2, LR3 & Accessory Lines - Home Page - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts (ALR8360) wants $126 each,
JWF Technologies (752940) quoted me $74 each with 2 week lead time,
Suspa (C16-15142) has one for $100 each with 3 week lead time.

With those prices motivated me to try to dig a little deeper and found two viable options...
OPT 1 = spareto.com has 752940 for $27.11 each with a 28 day lead time and $35.80 in shipping (coming from Tallinn, Estonia)
OPT 2 = industrialhardwaredirect.com has a p/n LGP-8-230-30 that are $15 each with $10 flat rate shipping.

I went ahead with OPT 2, due price and hoping for quick turn around. It is not an exact replacement but seems pretty dang close for the money. I'll report back on how it works out.
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:19 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Hard Top Struts

This worked on my Rover top hard top
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/li...-lift-support/

$27.40/each

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:47 PM
tomdavey_III
Thomas Davey
1994/Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdavey_III View Post
Man, what difference +10yrs makes in price...
Stealership (ALR8360) wants $170 each,
Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories (ALR8360) wants $110 each,
Parts for Series, Defender, Discovery, Range Rover, LR2, LR3 & Accessory Lines - Home Page - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts (ALR8360) wants $126 each,
JWF Technologies (752940) quoted me $74 each with 2 week lead time,
Suspa (C16-15142) has one for $100 each with 3 week lead time.

With those prices motivated me to try to dig a little deeper and found two viable options...
OPT 1 = spareto.com has 752940 for $27.11 each with a 28 day lead time and $35.80 in shipping (coming from Tallinn, Estonia)
OPT 2 = industrialhardwaredirect.com has a p/n LGP-8-230-30 that are $15 each with $10 flat rate shipping.

I went ahead with OPT 2, due price and hoping for quick turn around. It is not an exact replacement but seems pretty dang close for the money. I'll report back on how it works out.
Received my struts yesterday and installed them, they shall work perfectly. My recommendation would be to steer clear of Industrial Hardware Direct, as they are an "online" only company. They never reply to email or FaceBook messages and there is no address or phone number to reach them at. My solution was to utilize their parent/affiliate brick and mortar company called LaVanture Products, their customer service was spot and and luck-fully they were able to provide me updates on my order with Industrial Hardware. The part that I ordered (LGP-8-230-30) had a 2 week lead time which explains the delay in receiving the parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hard top