Hard Top question... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Hard Top question...

Hey all,

Finally came across a hard top that is local to me.

The only issue is that the top does not come with any hardware, can get a kit from Rovers North or Atlantic British?

Also, anyways that has a top, how hard are they to install? What type of seals do it need? Can I buy those too?

Thanks,
KD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Search here for hardtop install instructions. It has a parts manifest if I can remember. You may have to fab up some square washers or metal strip. May need a rivnut tool.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
back out of the forum and go into the Tech Articles and there should be a PDF or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

HT

What year is your truck? The Fiberglass HTs were made for 95 and 97s. For a 94 you will need to do a little cutting where the B pillar diagonal meets the tub.

Fitment-
You will have to remove the ST snap rails.

You will have to remove the Header bar and this involves removing and then refitting the windshield above the visor covers

You will should remove the Alpine bow

The hardest part to find is the square washers as previously posted. Also you will need the hinges for the rear door and the mounts for the gas presurized shocks to push up the rear door top.
It should also come with the seals between the rear window piece and side window piece.

The are not easy nor particular hard to install. If you are going to install it, plan to have it on for awhile as it is cumbersome and hard to store.
Not to mention it is a bit fragile so don't overtighten any of the bolts as it will crack.

I thought there was a company that was making them new and maybe they will sell you a hardware kit.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
http://www.d90tops.com/index.html
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Defender_90
Kevin Doonan
1999 RR HSE

Thanks everyone for the comments.

So I was able to email the guys at d-90tops.com and Andy the hardware, gaskets, door seals, gas shocks for the back window for $400 dollars or so.

Hopefully, I don’t have to mod the top too much as I do have a 94.

Below is the link to the PDF for installing the top as well.

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/fiberglass_hardtop_install.html
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

I installed a fiberglass hardtop on mine and it is a huge improvement from the essentially worthless soft top. That being said, once it's on it is pretty much permanent. I think it probably took me about 10 hours to install it. Be very careful around the roll bars that you do not crack the top & don't overtighten the screws.

Just a quick note on the screws that attach to the windshield- these will leak like crazy unless you put some type of waterproofing on them- I used some sort of putty and put it on the screws before I installed them, now the truck is almost watertight- a bold statement for a Land Rover!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hard top, top