Hard to get into reverse - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 18th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW
Hard to get into reverse

I friend of mine recently purchased a 1994 Canadian Spec D90. The truck is in excellent condition and only showing 33000KM on the speedo. He called me this morning and said the truck will not go into reverse. It goes into all the other gears fine. A buddy of his who is far more mechanically inclined told me it feels like the reverse gate is stuck? Since I am at work, does anyone have any thoughts. The truck has been sitting for about a month in his garage so could the gate be rusted? BTW - It has the LT77 tranny.

Old December 19th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Mine does not want to go into reverse sometimes. I have to put it into second and third then it will go into reverse. but also check the linkage.

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217
Mine acts the same way sometimes. Usually when it is cold outside. I jiggle the gear shift when reverse is stuck. That usually works for me. It tends to get that protector plate to slide out of the way.
94 Defender
11 Toyota FJ
Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:35 PM
1995 SW #487/500
there is a "lockout" for the reverse thats built in. I know when i downshift from 5th i get this distinctive click noise its that "thing" moving outta the way so there isnt a shift from 5->R. I am not sure that is what it is getting in the way.... I have the R380. Cant find em grind em
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old January 11th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Graeme Dench
jst sorted the very same problem on my LR 90 1986. check the linkage straight after the gear stick. take the rubber thingie of from round the stick base. there should be four bolts that hold the base of the gear stick mechanism on. Take them off and you will see a cup which the end of the gear stick slots into. This is held onto the shifter shaft with a small grub screw check that it is tight. I used some thredlock to try stop it comming undone again i had this a few time so hopefully the treadlock will sort it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions