Hard to beat this deal - Winch inside - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

That goes for winch mounting as well, though it's often impractical to really mount a winch so the forces are in line with the chassis.
However, I was talking about the force on the hooks alone. Because of the fact they are a half circle the hook itself is wanting to bend.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
+1 on the most Landys here don't even see dirt let alone a trail. I'm happy to admit that I am too in that boat but working towards getting on the trail. Don, I would love to hook up over the weekend to take a look at the work so far to see if there are any glaring issues I need to address prior to hitting the trail.

In fact I'll have a black lager and German apfelwein on tap just after Xmas if you both feel like catching up over some craft brewed beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Adrian - don't mind dchapman. He has that "use a 2x4 to swat a fly" way of posting. But... a lot of what he says has truth - you just have to ignore the "cheapfuck" comments. (Hell, I'm surprised he hasn't torn me a new e-asshole on my Toy conversion)

Looking at the pics, the bumper and winch look fine. I think the $60 for the plate and then $350 on welding/fab costs sent it into the "could have done Mantec" zone that chapman brought up. If you are looking to save coin, one tip is to prep everything yourself and then bring it to the welder to lay bead. The shitty work is grinding stuff down and cutting metal which they will charge for. I've brought prepped stuff to to a guy that TIG's and it was at most $100, but all he had to do was fire the torch up and weld.

You're taking your truck off road which is way more than practically ever Defender in our area does including the ones with $4000 front bumper setups. You'll find what works for you and what doesn't the more you go out and the more people that you ride trail with. My truck had an ARB with a Warn 9500 when I got it but I liked how the Rockware looked and worked from seeing it on other trucks and now I'm running that and updated the Warn with synthetic line. And there may be a lot of trips that you won't even use the winch - heck I had a year or so where I didn't have to use mine but I think the point chapman is making, is when you need it you REALLY need it and you might be SOL if it fails.

The Jate rings are nice in that you can just bolt them on. On a trip a while ago we yanked a mostly stock Disco around and all he had was one Jate ring. Another option is http://www.expeditionexchange.com/smb/ I bought one for my ARB bumper and it worked well. Just make sure there is a backing plate and grade 8 bolts. The SMB might be just the way to go for you setup.

One more thing, I find there are no shops in our area that have anything decent to "touch & feel" in person and the knowledge base is even worse. EE is a great site for seeing and reading. And ordering from places like EE, RN, L8 and AB is the way to go. Those guys all ride trail so they will at least have a reason why they are selling what they are selling. I know we've been trying to catch up in person and I can show you what I use and why when we finally do.
Old December 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Ill never turn down a drink. Just let me know where and when
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
+1 on the most Landys here don't even see dirt let alone a trail. I'm happy to admit that I am too in that boat but working towards getting on the trail. Don, I would love to hook up over the weekend to take a look at the work so far to see if there are any glaring issues I need to address prior to hitting the trail.

In fact I'll have a black lager and German apfelwein on tap just after Xmas if you both feel like catching up over some craft brewed beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Ill never turn down a drink. Just let me know where and when
We'll have to do a GTG one of these nights or weekends. My 90 has axle pieces all over the garage so it might be a little while before I can have it running and can bring it out. I am not "all-knowing" in the world of off road or Rovers but will love to show what I've done and what I think.

I'm not a big drinker but a pint of that black lage or the German apfelwein would certainly be of interest Will hit you guys up when the 90 is running again and after the holiday madness simmers down.

And it would be cool to get out on trail even down to the Barons one of these days. I know the NJLR seem to head down a fair amount.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I smell a man date

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
We'll have to do a GTG one of these nights or weekends. My 90 has axle pieces all over the garage so it might be a little while before I can have it running and can bring it out. I am not "all-knowing" in the world of off road or Rovers but will love to show what I've done and what I think.

I'm not a big drinker but a pint of that black lage or the German apfelwein would certainly be of interest Will hit you guys up when the 90 is running again and after the holiday madness simmers down.

And it would be cool to get out on trail even down to the Barons one of these days. I know the NJLR seem to head down a fair amount.

They just went there on Dec 10th - I missed it for a wedding I was dragged to (no not my own).

They are going on the 14th of Jan, but go figure I'll be in Puerto Rico (not complaining about that!)

There was some talk on NELRC about doing Rausch Creek on the 27th of this month, I'd be in - if it happens....

.... have a drink after the holidays - the holidays are are great reason to drink! I'm in Vermont over New Years weekend Fri-Mon but any other day i'm around!
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I smell a man date
haha, don't you guys have that GTG every month? We don't have many gear heads in this area so it's hard to get to talk wrench. You guys might get to do so at the local store but in this part of NJ it's very few and far between.

Quote:
They just went there on Dec 10th - I missed it for a wedding I was dragged to (no not my own).

They are going on the 14th of Jan, but go figure I'll be in Puerto Rico (not complaining about that!)

There was some talk on NELRC about doing Rausch Creek on the 27th of this month, I'd be in - if it happens....

.... have a drink after the holidays - the holidays are are great reason to drink! I'm in Vermont over New Years weekend Fri-Mon but any other day i'm around!
Thanks for the date info. Maybe the 14th of Jan but have to see the kids sports/snowboard trip schedule.

VT should be fun for New Years - not much snow but you never know when a big dump could come thru. Will catch up after the holidys. My R&P came in today and I've got some Xmas goodies from Keith @ RovingTracks so install too but won't be able to do much wrenching until 2012.
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned... But I would be a little concerned with mounting the winch above the bumper and relying only on the stock bumper bolts. I personally try to design these things for rigging level safety factors, but you are closing in on no safety factor from a few quick numbers.
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Are you seriously trying to justify your purchase as the reasonable way to do things? Because if so, I don't get it. In one sentence you claim that your set-up is all you can afford; in another sentence you try to claim everything else is just simply over built. So which is it, are you a cheapfuck or are you just ignorant?

You start off by claiming you were in a pinch. You were going wheeling and you saw a need for recovery points so you ran out to Auto Zone and picked up those sweet hooks for a quick-and-dirty solution. Those hooks just bolt right on. Well, they bolt right on once you find a suitable mounting location. But the location in which you mounted these hooks in took some prep. It took you time to drill the holes in the frame and make everything look just right. So once you took all this time to mount your new hooks for a quick trip to the woods, you never thought to go back and do things right.

You see, you did not buy the hooks because you were in a jam. You bought the hooks because you're a cheapfuck. The hooks were only $20 or $25.00, and then a few bucks for bolts, nuts and washers. For less than $35.00 you had a recovery point and that was good enough for you. You never had any intentions of going back and doing the job right, if you did you would have finished the job you started before wasting all that money on your winch set-up. For you, those hooks were just fine.

Here is the problem with your thought process. Those hooks are unsafe in the manner in which you have them mounted. Think about it for a second. The hooks are upside down, so anytime a strap were to be fitted to those hooks the way they are, it has the potential to fall off. Gravity is a bitch sometimes. Now I know those sweet hooks have a little metal tab on them to help secure the strap to the hook and prevent if from falling off....but come on, lets not pretend here. Those metal tabs are a pile of shit; they get bent easy enough and only become a nuisance. Shit, even when they're not bent they do not do a very good job of holding a strap on the hook. So it's not really all that safe to assume the recovery strap is just going to stay put, and that puts everyone involved with the recovery at risk. The worst part about it is the truck doing the recovery has the greatest part of that risk, not you.

Another problem you have with your hook install is the lack of backing plates. I know I can't see from the pics you posted whether or not backing plates are there, but we both no they're not. You're too cheap to buy backing plates. Besides, you were in a pinch to get this project done so you could hit the trails and did not have time for backing plates. In fact, you were in such a hurry you did not have the time to go out and buy longer bolts so you could anchor the hooks through the frame. It appears the nuts for your hooks are sitting inside the frame, leaving only 3/16" of material to hold the hooks to your truck.

Do you know what happens to others when a recovery hook rips off a frame and goes flying?

So I think there is a pretty good chance you're just a cheapfuck. I don't think what you did was logical at all, no matter how you attempt to justify it. The logical thought process would be to say to yourself, "shit, this is not going to work". The logical person would have just spent an extra $30 to do the job right and bought JATE rings.

I like your comments about all winches being the same. That's funny right there. I'll agree that most of these manufactures have their lower class of winches. WARN has their VR series, Ramsey has their Patriot series, etc... But you're making a pretty bold statement that all winch manufactures are the same. I can't remember the last time I saw a 30 year old Mile Marker, but we see 30 year old WARN 8274's all the time. You think a Huskey10 is only going to last as long as a Superwinch EP? There is a reason some of these winches cost $2,000 - it's because they're quality shit. Is one winch better than the other? You fucking right! Now I'm not telling you to go out and buy a $2,000 winch. But what I am saying is, that for not much more money you could have had a much better winch. That winch you have there is not built well at all and they do not last. They're slow as slow can get (6 feet per minute??? LOL), and the cheap made in china parts inside them rust out in no time. As soon as a little surface rust accumulates on the motor, the brushes will not make a good contact and there you sit. Trust me, it's going to happen with this winch.

Now I'm not going to say that a quality winch will not quit on you. I know it will. It happens to the guys over at OEX pretty regular. The difference is, those guys use their winches several times a day, for days at a time. But look at what type winch they use on all their vehicles. I'm sure they get a price break doe to the volume they buy for their fleet. But at the same time you'll never see them go to a lesser quality winch such as one from Harbor Freight.

So again, when it comes to winches you're a cheapfuck. Your purchase was not logical no matter how you try to justify it.

I really like your comments about taking a long look at your truck and being pleased with what you saw. I don't know what the fuck you were looking at, but it can't be the same truck you posted pictures of. I mean seriously, come on, look at that thing. It looks like shit. You may as well of made yourself a PVC snorkel and put a NO FEAR sticker across the windshield. That winch set-up sticks out like a sore thumb. Not only does it stick out like a sore thumb, but your welder friends did a half-ass job with the grinder, too. Look at this shit. It looks like he got a new grinder and some grinding wheels for Christmas, got excited, and went nuts on your front bumper. It's a hack job, man. You would have been a lot better off with a new Mantec bumper or a used Rockware bumper for the same price.

And I don't know what your tangent was all about when you were talking about 5,000lb trailers and Chevy's. But you really showed your ignorance when talking about your set-up as thought out and safe. It's not either. A thought out set-up would be much neater. Here is a thought out set-up on a Defender. See the Jate rings? The recovery points? The bumper? But it does not stop there. Have a look at John's battery compartment where the winch is hooked up. Or take a look at Jack's battery compartment. These are thought out installs. These installs are not to be confused your your hack job install. These guys did the job, the entire job, correctly.

All this was bound to happen sooner or later. It happened with the Discovery's 8 or 10 years ago. The price of these vehicles drop to a point where any redneck can afford them. Then we start seeing shit like this thread popping up all over the place. People no longer take pride in what they have. People start doing just the minimum to get by, and the next thing we know the brand no longer has a uniqueness to it. May as well just all drive Jeeps and Toyota's.
WOW. Just.........wow.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Dear chapman. You can now sleep soundly

Charles,

Thank you very very much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342[1].jpg
Views:	154
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	45213  
Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Awwww fawk yaaaahhh dood! Chapman you just got skooled boyeee!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Awwww fawk yaaaahhh dood! Chapman you just got skooled boyeee!
??? are you ok?
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Dear chapman. You can now sleep soundly

Charles,

Thank you very very much
Looking good - much better. Hooks are for the Hummers and Jeeps that abound are area :D

That is freaking rad that Charles hooked you up (pun intended).
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Don, do you have the tool for the drain plug(if that is what it is) for the front chunk? It looks like I may have a leak and I'd like to see if it can be tightened up before I go ghetto on it. I'm off tomorrow and around in the morning.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts
Don, do you have the tool for the drain plug(if that is what it is) for the front chunk? It looks like I may have a leak and I'd like to see if it can be tightened up before I go ghetto on it. I'm off tomorrow and around in the morning.
Just got out of hockey - will pm you my cell when I get on a pc at home later. I'll be at the house in the morning and we can take a look at
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
If you are talking about the drain plug on the diffs, it's just a 1/2" drive socket (or short extension can be handy).
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Thanks. I stopped by to meet Don and check out his truck and we tightened them up The front and rear were seriously loose. Every time I turn around I find more shoddy work by the guys in Philly that I sent the truck to. On an interesting side note, now that the temps are cooler here in Jerzee I no longer have the oil pressure issue.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
DOX
Eric Doxey
1995 Defender 90

Registry
As a FYI they have the 12,000 lb winch on sale this week for $339, cheaper than the 9,000 lb one by $30.
Disclaimer I have never used this brand or no anyone who has just seemed like a good deal.
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Yup. My bro in law just bought one for his jeep. Ive had no issues with mine to date.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Funniest thread for sometime. I graduated from the must have a winch school back to simple recovery points and wheeling with buddies.
Cheaper to.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch