Hard starting while cold. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 5th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
Hard starting while cold.

Ok, I'm going to start fresh on this one, since I'm obviously too far along and missed something. This problem also seems different from the last one, so I'm going to just clear the slate of ideas and see what's going on.

Recently upgraded to a Mallory distributor and coil. Swapped in a 4.2 ECU, in place of the original which I no longer have.

Intermittently the truck will crank fine, but won't catch. Once it starts, it runs just fine. I'll poke under the hood, wiggle a couple wires, and usually it will start right up. I honestly don't know if my testing is actually doing anything. Today it wouldn't catch, and I flooded the hell out of it. Brought it home on a flat-bed, after sitting a couple hours, and of course it started right up once it got home.

Spark is good at the coil and at the plugs. Fuel pump is humming along and sounds good. I tried resetting the ECU, with no effect.

Seems to be more of an issue when the engine is cold. Battery cranks the starter good and strong for quite a while before finally running down.
My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

start, starting