Hard Starting 94 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Raleigh D90
Somewhere Across Town
Hard Starting 94 D90

Hello and thanks ahead of the curve for any help anyone can throw my way. My Defender turns over very easily and almost always starts on the first turn, but always wakes up very slowly. What I mean is that it slowly stumbles a bit, sounds like it misses a few fires, but then within about 15 seconds I can give it a little gas and all goes normal. So far, no codes on the ECU.

This morning however (65 degrees, damp) it started it's normal stumble and no matter what I tried it didn't want to start. It would intermittently stumble on a few turns, but after about 10 mins I figured I would stop before I burnt the starter out.

I could smell gas so I might very well have ended up flooding it towards the end (if that is even possible with the injection) and I will go back to try again this afternoon after I get back from work, but now I'm wondering if the stumble was just a bigger problem waiting to strike.

I have a newer (non factory) distributor (looks like the mallory unit I think, it's red) and all wires and such appear to be in good condition.

Incidentally, there is plenty of fuel in the tank and I did try a number of searches before posting.

Thanks everyone.

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
When it starts to flood, start it with the throttle open (ie foot to the floor). Could be lots of things including leaky injectors.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

90, d90, start, starting