Hard Brake Line to Caliper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Hard Brake Line to Caliper

It was inevitable, I snapped one of the front hard brake lines that connect from the flexible line (and bracket at the top of the hub/caliper/axle) and screw into the caliper. Rovers North wants $70+ each for these lines - too much money. Are there any other off the shelf options?

I thought the brakes would be done this weekend....

Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Order a whole set of stainless from classic tube -- or, I believe they will sell you just the little ones if you ask nicely.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/DefenderSSpipes.html

http://www.classictube.com/

Ron
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:42 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Is that the "Ron Good" solution? Looks like $600 for a whole set.

Is it hard to replace all the lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1994-1997 NAS Defender 90 complete brake pipe set
$333. for the complete set, plus installation

"Ron good" would be to wander into my basement and pluck one off a spare axle or figure out how long it is and order a short piece of metric line and bend it myself.

All the lines are not too hard. Just cut them at the joint and remove the input from whatever with a six point socket. You will want to order some spare plastic clips and spend $70 at AB for the stainless replacements for the three rubber lines. I would also order the big nuts and star washers that hold on the rubber lines. Worth buying the whole set if you are keeping the truck, if not, just fine the little guy and replace him.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
70 bucks? When did they get expensive? Last time I bought a piece of brake line it was like half that. Too bad I'm over here, I've got spares I could send you.

First of all, if you haven't destroyed the fittings, you could make that line with some tubing from the autoparts store, but you might be into it for more than 70 bucks by the time you buy a tube flaring tool and a cheap bender. And it takes some practice and fiddling to make a nice line.

Call some other suppliers, I'm sure RDS is cheaper than 70 for that line, and I'm sure lots of guys have some used ones.

I always replace with stainless. Even if you don't install the entire set at one time, its a worthwhile upgrade. Better to get it from ECR than Classic Tube - even though CT make them for ECR (or did previously) CT sucks, doesn't know their own inventory, and is annoying and unhelpful on the phone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I have them for like $25 at AB but we are closed till Tuesday
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Most autoparts stores rent the tools for free and brake lines are cheap. It's pretty simple to bend the lines by hand and flare the ends yourself.

Semper Fi!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not that you have an endless amount of cash or space but I think a tube bender and flaring tool are two great additions to your toolbox...you won't need them every day but when you do, they are invaluable!
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I know this is an old thread...but anyone know the part number for this? Having a heck of a time finding it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake