Handed springs - question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:10 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Handed springs - question

I just installed some Rovers North springs (genuine "style" ride and height). After installing them, and after reading some threads on this forum, it now appears to me that they are handed. The backs are even in height, but front passenger is 1/2 higher and front driver a full inch higher. I don't like the way the truck is sitting now (unevenly).

The question is have for you folks is how to fix this.

I see a bunch of threads about adding spacers to raise up the shorter springs - but I don't want the truck raised any higher.

Are there any methods for lowering the front/longer springs?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:15 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
How long ago did you install them? If you have the longer side on the driver (and battery) side I would let them settle for a bit and then reevaluate.
Old April 30th, 2014, 01:42 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
How long ago did you install them? If you have the longer side on the driver (and battery) side I would let them settle for a bit and then reevaluate.
Don - 1 week. Entire front is higher but yes highest on driver /battery side. Can it really drop an inch with time and settling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Are you saying the front is higher than the back?

The springs compress at a set rate, so many pounds per inch of compression. If you sit in the drivers seat, the springs on that side will compress a predicted amount. If you weigh 225# and your front spring rate is 225# per inch, when you get in, the springs will go down a total of one inch, depending whether you have a SWB or LWB it may be a half inch at the front drivers side and a little less at the rear drivers side (because the rear is usually a bit higher spring rate).

Is your fuel tank full or empty when you are measuring? Is the truck completely assembled, or partly taken apart because you're doing other work? Tool box in the back? Left or right side? Got an extra battery in there somewhere? There are all kinds of variables.

On a recent drive we were commenting on the lean of a friends Lightweight as he drove down the road. It was really noticeable! Then someone jumped in the passenger seat to experience an "old school" ride. Like magic it rode level the rest of the trip, as long as the passenger was there.
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:33 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Yes front is riding much higher than back. Gas tank is pretty much empty. Sucks - My part time OCD is annoyed by this one.
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
What color stripes are on the springs? Are they genuine or aftermarket?
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:47 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi19 View Post
Yes front is riding much higher than back. Gas tank is pretty much empty. Sucks - My part time OCD is annoyed by this one.
aftermarket rovers north "oem style" springs (same height and stiffness). I'll have to check the colors when I'm home but these are them below. These are the 4 that RN told me to get:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NRC9446.cfm http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NRC9447.cfm http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NRC9448.cfm http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NRC9449.cfm
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:48 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
What color stripes are on the springs? Are they genuine or aftermarket?
Yes - what springs are you running where? I thought the fronts usually end up a little lower especially if you have HD bumper and winch.

------ Follow up post added April 30th, 2014 03:49 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Are you saying the front is higher than the back? The springs compress at a set rate, so many pounds per inch of compression. If you sit in the drivers seat, the springs on that side will compress a predicted amount. If you weigh 225# and your front spring rate is 225# per inch, when you get in, the springs will go down a total of one inch, depending whether you have a SWB or LWB it may be a half inch at the front drivers side and a little less at the rear drivers side (because the rear is usually a bit higher spring rate). Is your fuel tank full or empty when you are measuring? Is the truck completely assembled, or partly taken apart because you're doing other work? Tool box in the back? Left or right side? Got an extra battery in there somewhere? There are all kinds of variables. On a recent drive we were commenting on the lean of a friends Lightweight as he drove down the road. It was really noticeable! Then someone jumped in the passenger seat to experience an "old school" ride. Like magic it rode level the rest of the trip, as long as the passenger was there.
Agree - full tank vs empty, tool boxes, batteries, etc can change stance. Curious - how are you measuring or just an eyeball figure?
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Can you tell us what part numbers you installed? Stock 90 front springs should not be longer than stock rear springs. they should be almost the same length and both should be handed.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

Are you certain you have the springs in the correct locations?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I can assure you we wouldn't send you to AB! Possibly you didn't get them from us? I'm not sure what springs you got, but it should be the following:

Front Left: NRC9446 - blue/green
Front Right: NRC9447 - blue/yellow
Rear Left: NRC9448 - red/blue
Rear Right: NRC9449 - white / yellow
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:09 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I can assure you we wouldn't send you to AB! Possibly you didn't get them from us? I'm not sure what springs you got, but it should be the following: Front Left: NRC9446 - blue/green Front Right: NRC9447 - blue/yellow Rear Left: NRC9448 - red/blue Rear Right: NRC9449 - white / yellow
oops sorry you are right - I got them from Ab!!!! Regardless, those are the exact ones I got - in the links.
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
oops sorry you are right - I got them from Ab!!!! Regardless, those are the exact ones I got - in the links.
No worries

I just pointed it out because last time when Ben Little ordered springs they were aftermarket and not identical to the Genuine units.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=52121
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay. First, let's make sure that you have the correct color codes on the correct corners.

Assuming there is not a lot of non stock weight in the truck, it should sit properly.

Did you ask for genuine springs or aftermarket. Unloaded, they should be about the same height (front and rear). The rears should have a heavier bar used in the springs.

Old April 30th, 2014, 05:47 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Thanks fellas. Will check out the colors when I am home. Away on a biz trip now. Thx again. Report back soon.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:17 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Looks like my installed spring colors are as follows:

Front driver: blue and green
Front pass: blue and yellow
Rear driver: red
Rear pass: yellow

Is this correct?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Rears should be red blue and white yellow
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:15 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Unfortunately, you are going to have to pull and measure them. Most likely return them for proper ones.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Ugh. I may just cut them. Or heat them
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Zack, I'm assuming all this info is for the D90 and not the D110?

The HD110 rear springs I ordered from RN are the same part number. I have a definite lean. Are the rears supposed to be handed too?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Ugh. I may just cut them. Or heat them
You can't do either. They have closed and ground ends. They need to be properly heat treated or they will bend permanently the first time they compress.

Can you measure the height of the springs while parked on a flat, level surface. That would help determine where you are at and what would be a good way to go.

Why did you change springs in the first place?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions