Hand break failure - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM
1984 defender
Hand break failure

Need some help. I have a defender 130 2003 with a malfunctioning hand break. The hand break stays in the up, engaged position. When pushed down into off position it goes right back up. The emergency break stays engaged even with hand break depressed. I checked the pin and clip at the base of the hand break which attaches the cable and it is in place and in tact. If I try to even back the truck out of the garage I can tell the break is fully engaged.

Thanks for help, jc

Old April 6th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Its possible that the shoes are corroded on the drum. A few wacks with a dead blow may help.

Its also possible that the cable is seized. Possible corrosion, or I have even heard of a bad ground where the brake cable became the ground and melted the sleeve.

Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
sheisters gonna sheist

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions