HAM Radios - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 13th, 2007, 03:25 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

HAM Radios

Well, I've finally stopped making excuses and I'm going to take the test for my ham radio license on Thursday. I may never get laid again but, hey, at least I'll be able to do APRS, right? I need to find a radio and a good place to mount it in my ST. Are there any HAMs here? If so, where did you mount your radio and antenna?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2007, 11:09 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Ping the guy's over at Expedition Exchange. They're HAM nuts and will be able to help you out.
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

I am a Ham, I just a use an HT for my stuff, it sits in a cupholder. My antennas (CB, Scanner, Ham, XM) are mounted on a special bracket on my tire carrier.
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have my license as well. I have an antenna on the bull bar and on the roof rack. Adding the antenna will work fine on your tire carrier much like your CB antenna. Unless you are really concerned about range.
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
K4zmy here. My family is really into amateur radio (well okay, my dad is). I've got a dual bander mounted to the side of the tuffy center consol, and my antenna is on a plate mounted on the center brake light above the tire carrier. I've got a pic of the antenna on a thread somewhere and i can take more if anyone is interested.

There is a lot you can do with the hobby. Funny you should mention APRS, my dad always threatened to put a setup in my first car to always know where i was and how fast i was going.
Old December 31st, 2013, 04:12 AM
spammer
Samdford Wallace
95 RRC LWB / 86 Tithnous

Anyone have pics of where they installed their HAM / CB radios? I'm looking for something secure so I can leave the doors unlocked and not worry since I live in the hood (not really, but I live in the city so stuff gets stolen).

I have a Tuffy, but will have a stereo in there. Maybe behind the front seats hidden or something along those lines?
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:55 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spammer View Post
Anyone have pics of where they installed their HAM / CB radios? I'm looking for something secure so I can leave the doors unlocked and not worry since I live in the hood (not really, but I live in the city so stuff gets stolen). I have a Tuffy, but will have a stereo in there. Maybe behind the front seats hidden or something along those lines?
get a baofeng hand held. They are virtually disposable.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:11 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This is on my 2014 todo list

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
This is on my 2014 todo list
X2...I've been making do with vhf handhelds and sat phone.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:18 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Just a note that another great option is MURS. No license required, it's VHF (decent propagation out in the woods), higher power output than FRS, and radios are cheap.

You can also use an external antenna, so a small external antenna could quickly be hooked up to the handheld.

CBs really, really suck for trail communications. It would be great if everyone could switch to something better suited to the task, but majority wins in a group.

- KB1RMA
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:48 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Just a note that another great option is MURS. No license required, it's VHF (decent propagation out in the woods), higher power output than FRS, and radios are cheap.

You can also use an external antenna, so a small external antenna could quickly be hooked up to the handheld.

CBs really, really suck for trail communications. It would be great if everyone could switch to something better suited to the task, but majority wins in a group.

- KB1RMA
I have a mounted CB but I really only use it for NOAA these days. I justified keeping it to myself because clubs still use it on trails, but those same clubs dual chat most of the time on FRS and I can get FRS with NOAA alerts. I'm probably going to pull my CB this year, as FRS is the new CB. FRS plus 2M is probably my final comms solution.

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:27 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Our club here in San Diego ditched CB entirely a few years ago, and one of our members who is an Amateur Extra helped to get everyone licensed, and we use 2M exclusively on trips now.

In my 90 I have a Yaesu FTM-350 with the built in APRS and GPS inputs, and also an Icom 7000 for HF with a Little Tarheel II antenna mounted on the spare tire carrier. Both radios are mounted behind the drivers seat, and the remote heads are mounted on a custom bracket that attaches to the fuse panel cover.

We use the 2M all the time, and when Josh and I did our Alaska trip I was able to use the HF radio to talk to Washington and Oregon, to include using Winlink for E-Mail, with no problems at all.

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:32 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Yeah I love amateur radio, and especially love HF. But forcing everyone in a group to get a ticket is kind of silly. Yeah you get more flexibility, but radios are expensive for what the majority of people probably use them for (although the baofengs/wouxon's are pretty cheap now) and hams have a terrible habit of forcing their ways on others.

MURS solves the licensing problem as it's CB band with all the benefits of VHF. For whatever reason it hasn't gotten a whole lot of attention. Although that's probably a good thing since the channels are limited. You can do FM, AM, or even data modes on it.
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Yeah I love amateur radio, and especially love HF. But forcing everyone in a group to get a ticket is kind of silly. Yeah you get more flexibility, but radios are expensive for what the majority of people probably use them for (although the baofengs/wouxon's are pretty cheap now) and hams have a terrible habit of forcing their ways on others.

MURS solves the licensing problem as it's CB band with all the benefits of VHF. For whatever reason it hasn't gotten a whole lot of attention. Although that's probably a good thing since the channels are limited. You can do FM, AM, or even data modes on it.
The reason we made the switch was the absolute crap on the CB bands out here in San Diego/Mexico. People would actually find what channel you are on and just start yelling into it, being general a-holes.

2 Meter meant extremely clear, reliable, long range communications. Great when you do a 2 or 3 day trip and people peel off to get back on the highway to go home, they can either reach direct or hit one of the many repeaters out here. You know they made it out OK, and if they need help they can get ahold of it.

Bare-bones 2M radios are only 150 bucks or so, or get a cheapie portable that are commonly under $100. Really not much different than a CB in the big scheme of things, and much better.

Old December 31st, 2013, 12:50 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
a dual band Baofeng radio capable of 2m & 70cm plus MURS etc etc is $40 ... quite unbelievable.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:12 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I picked up my ticket at the end of October this year. 15 bucks for the ticket plus a cheap baofeng uv-5r for 30 bucks shipped on amazon prime and you're up and running for about the same cost as a good pair of FRS radios with much better range and capability. I found a diamond dual band NR770HNMOB antenna with an nmo mag mount on cl for 40 bucks which really helps with range.

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:33 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
What's a good beginner radio that I won't outgrow? I want to mount and be done, and my overland trips will only increase as my kids get older. I'm just assuming Yeasu off the bat.

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
What's a good beginner radio that I won't outgrow? I want to mount and be done, and my overland trips will only increase as my kids get older. I'm just assuming Yeasu off the bat.
Yeasu 7900 right out is what I went with and have been very happy. I augment it with the baofeng handhelds to very good effect.
Old December 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

They have a 100 dollar rebate on the FT-8800R which makes it a just a few bucks more in the end than the FT-7900. One of the nice things about the 8800R vs the 7900 is that you can do crossband repeat. IIRC the rebate is for any authorized Yaesu dealer, but it ends today. If you have a HRO near you you can buy it today, if not gigaparts has them for about the same price plus they do free shipping.

Old December 31st, 2013, 01:51 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
a dual band Baofeng radio capable of 2m & 70cm plus MURS etc etc is $40 ... quite unbelievable.
Obligatory type acceptance rant.

Good on you guys for getting your ticket. It's an awesome hobby and really useful. Just saying there are other options for those who don't want or need a ticket.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio