HAM Radios - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
They have a 100 dollar rebate on the FT-8800R which makes it a just a few bucks more in the end than the FT-7900. One of the nice things about the 8800R vs the 7900 is that you can do crossband repeat. IIRC the rebate is for any authorized Yaesu dealer, but it ends today. If you have a HRO near you you can buy it today, if not gigaparts has them for about the same price plus they do free shipping.
Whats a crossband repeat?

I'd been considering the 2900R unit: http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lin...T-2900R_2.html

Thoughts?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Great info. I may be going to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff this year and getting my certification there. If so, I'll dump my CB and get the yaesu installed before I go.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Wow, old ass thread revival.

So I've been using ham radio since 2007 and here are my thoughts:

For the trail, you really need mobile and handheld units. Handheld for spotting and mobile for everything else. Handhelds just don't have the power output when you're doing desert overlanding and everybody spreads out to avoid eating each others' dust all day. Depending where you are, the 5W handheld may not have enough power to hit a repeater in an emergency. This happened to me out in Cedar Mesa when I sheared an axle tube. A 50W mobile, however, will get it done.

Antenna mounting on an ex-MOD FFR truck is easy. The antenna mounts on the wings up front are ideal. I can reliably achieve 1.1:1 SWR with a Diamond magnet mount and a Diamond NR770HB antenna up there. Remove the crusty old military cabling and run some nice Diamond coax and you're in business.

The Tuffy box is a perfect place for a larger mobile unit if you can go w/o a stereo. That's my plan for my truck. I'll just use canceling headphones and my iPhone if I want music. If you absolutely must have a stereo in the Tuffy, check out the Yaesu FTM-10R. It has a detachable faceplate and available remote faceplate kit so it's easy to mount:

My buddy ran this on our last Utah trip and it was awesome. For my Tithonus truck, I'm going with the Icom IC-706MkIIG so that I'll have HF capability.

For APRS, my setup is more complex. I did a write-up on ExPo that describes my APRS setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2013, 03:08 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Good info Chris. I'll have to read your writeup, but the tuffy box install is what I want to do. I have my carpc and I control music through a mud uk console. so the icom does HF and 2m? If so, that sounds more flexibility than the yaesu's presented here.

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The Icom is HF/VHF/UHF. Vehicle HF setups are always pretty lacking in the antenna department compared to base stations, etc. I doubt I will bother putting up a HF antenna on the truck. I'll probably just carry a Buddistick antenna and some wire radials to set up around camp if I go that direction. I've used this setup a few times and it works well. Here's some photos from a few winters ago when some friends and I climbed a Colorado peak in sub-zero temps and set up a station on 10-meter with the Buddistick and an Icom portable.

/
/
/
/
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:37 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I'd save the cash, Chris and get a collapsible fiberglass pole and use it to raise an inverted v. Far more efficient than a buddipole and less expensive. Also faster to setup. It's popular in the SOTA ring.

If you feed the thing with lightweight twin lead then you've got yourself a nice efficient multiband antenna.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
I'd save the cash, Chris and get a collapsible fiberglass pole and use it to raise an inverted v. Far more efficient than a buddipole and less expensive. Also faster to setup. It's popular in the SOTA ring.

If you feed the thing with lightweight twin lead then you've got yourself a nice efficient multiband antenna.
For sure. I bought my Buddistick system when I was new to HF antennas and SOTA. I ended up using only the military shock-cord whip and the radials and realized that I could have built something better for much less. A crappie pole is a great choice for this, using velcro to strap it onto a dead tree or something.

Still, for the new hams here, I recommend the Buddistick because it's so easy to learn. It includes a great manual that shows you how to construct and tune antennas for a wide range of bands and that's the biggest hurdle. Also need a good HF tuner. I bought one of the big MFJ antenna analyzers and they're great for VHF and UHF tuning but too big for the field. For HF in the field, I bought one of these: http://www.iportableus.com/_mgxroot/page_10743.html

/
/
/
/
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Finally got my install done today. Starting off with a Kenwood V71A for 2m/70cm dual band operation. With the remote head kit, the head seemed almost natural on top of the MUD UK pod.

KM4BOR on the air!

I'll stick with this a while then most likely move up to general class in a year or so and add HF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140809_122928.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	100439  

Old August 9th, 2014, 01:39 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Looks good, Mark.. WHat are you doing for antenna and cable routing?

I have the FTM10 (pictured up in post 23 above) in my 2a, with a Larsen dual band antenna on the front wing like Snell has on his Ex-MOD..

I use it mainly for broadcast radio (FM, music) but the weather stations are great to have and even using the line-input for my phone navigation directions is great. (I can keep my eyes on the road!) I enjoy finding repeaters when I'm on my roadtrips and if there is another ham around on the convoy, having reliable simplex is really nice!

73 de Steve, W2STV
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I have a Diamond NR-770HB installed on my ARB

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:18 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
That's a nice setup mark. I haven't dropped my rig in yet (kenwood aprs) but will do that after I refurbish my interior a little.

I'll be running the kenwood, dedicated trimble GPS unit, and an xplore tablet...

K1ROR
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I hv a carpc in my tuffy along with the radio base, so I will be installing the programming cable between the two soon.

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:59 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Oh man, no wonder you haven't had time to put those heater vents in. Got any pics of that pc?
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:22 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I have a yaesu mounted in my overhead console next to my cb and I also carry a yaesu (or I com) hand held unit in my truck (as well as a hand held cb also).. Always handy if you start travelling with a friend who doesn't have them.. Or the wife wants to go walkabout from the base station while camping.. We also carry 4 of the small Wilkie talkie units also..perfect for when you go shopping in big bazaars...)
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:33 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
That's a nice setup. That's inspiring me to use the Motorola ASTRO sabers with mobile mount. I have to figure how to mount the movie charger/dock.

I've reprogrammed them to work ham freqs. Man those things are built like tanks and the audio on both ends is amazing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio