H4 retrofit lens/bulb combo = dim lights! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 17th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253
H4 retrofit lens/bulb combo = dim lights!

The setup:
I recently purchased a set of 'diamond-cut' H4 retrofit housings for my D90. The housing is relatively flat in the front, and there is a little 'umbrella'-like reflector in front of the H4 bulb (eg you cannot see the bulb from directly ahead). The bulbs are the standard 55/65W H4 with a distinctive blue tint to them (the look very blue when off looking at them, and the light they throw is close to white, but has a subtle blue hue).

The result
Is very poor! These headlights are much dimmer overall than my original sealed-beam halogens. In addition, I had to modify the housings to make them work in the LR light rings, and additionally, I have to crank the adjustments all the way "up" to get them to shine reasonably down the road in front of me (rather than lighting the road 5 feet in front of the D). It was a pain, and it seems all was for nothing.

Before I go about tearing these out, I was wondering about a couple of things.

1) is it possible I just have low-quality bulbs, which are not throwing enough light? Would different 55/65W bulbs perhaps make a difference? I don't want to fry the wiring with the 85/100W bulbs, and I haven't put myself to the time of running new wiring and relays yet.

2) is that reflector thing necessary? I need more light to project FORWARD and that reflector is in the way of at least some of the light (eg directly from the front of the bulb).

I am close to ditching these housings/bulbs, but then I have to admit to myself that I tossed away good money for crap gear

Old January 18th, 2005, 12:37 PM
jim pendleton
Run direct power to them to diagnose if you would be happy with them when they have a better power source.

Search about adding relays.

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ht, lights