GV Iphone app help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
GV Iphone app help

Does any of the Computer Savy knows if some has the GV App on their iTunes ( as it is no longer available for download on the iTunes Store ) can he/she save it to a emailable file and send it to someone else to install it on their iTune?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

haha. This is apple we're talking about. Maybe jailbroken. MAYBE

Probably the only way to do it is transferring it from iPhone to computer, then computer to the other iPhone.
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Chris,

I know I can use Cydia ( jailbroken ) but I will hate to do that as I use all the updates.

I know someone who has it on his Apps folder on iTunes, what I am trying to find out is a way for him to send me that app.

We are not in the same area, so it would be a biatch to send my phone for him to add it to his itunes as a second phone ( thought of that as an option ), but I am hoping some of the Hackurus will give me an easier way out.

Thanks for the input ( man I have apple *LOL* )
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Try this - have him change the extension to .zip and mail it to you. Put it in your apps folder and change the extension back to .ipa.

While this works for your own apps I expect this to fail because the app has FairPlay info embedded in it which identifies you and makes sure you are allowed to have it etc.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

why not just email the entire apps folder of his to you (who cares what size attachment it is, I doubt Gustavo is on AOL Dial-up.)

Then drop accordingly into your apps folder, open iTunes, and vwa-la!

I mean I've never tried that with an App before, but that is how I steal all music from all my friend's itunes.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Attachment sizes certainly do matter! But he doesn't need the whole apps folder, just the one app. And the same caveats apply just for more apps so no benefit. All those apps downloaded have info in them tying them to the other user. Much quicker to just send the one app he needs. I just recommended changing the extension to get past any filters, but he could just try attach the .api file and se if it goes through.

Oh I should mention the only point of reference I have is a mac. No idea if this works on windows etc. but I think so. I have no reason to believe you can't copy from windows to mac and visa versa either.
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Attachment sizes certainly do matter! But he doesn't need the whole apps folder, just the one app. And the same caveats apply just for more apps so no benefit. All those apps downloaded have info in them tying them to the other user. Much quicker to just send the one app he needs. I just recommended changing the extension to get past any filters, but he could just try attach the .api file and se if it goes through.

Oh I should mention the only point of reference I have is a mac. No idea if this works on windows etc. but I think so. I have no reason to believe you can't copy from windows to mac and visa versa either.
good to know. I'm slowly but quickly loosing my grip on technology, and my generation is the 'technology generation'
Old October 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
good to know. I'm slowly but quickly loosing my grip on technology, and my generation is the 'technology generation'
At least you have a grip to lose. Try being a baby boomer...

Never had it, and if I did, I can't remember where I left it.
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Cory
Shane
D90SW 1997

It may be too much of a pain to do, but the safest way to do it is to sign up as a developer and that will give you the ability to "test" on your phone. Downside is it costs $75 if I recall correctly.

I have GV and it's nice to have but Google's web version works well enough. My problem is that Google Voice takes far too long to connect and is unreliable -- but that's just my experience over the past year or so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions