Gurgling noises - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Gurgling noises

A new noise is emminating from my truck.. Starts, drives, no noticeable performance problems but under full throttle or over 3k RPMs I the sound coming out of the engine gets extremely hollow sounding and deep then as I near 3.5k i get this gurgling popping noise coming out from somewhere that increases with RPM's. Looked under the hood and found that my intake assembly (MAF and hose) were barely connected. (thank you land rover dealership for your fine work) Thought that might be it but after tightening everything up, it's still there. Exhaust? DOesn't sound like the usual exhaust leak. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Popping under full throttle...hollow..my best guess would be that it might be fuel starvation or timing related? .
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Well if you check the dates from my first post to this one, i've had this issue for a while. Finally going to get on to fixing this. In line with the advise above I"m hoping it's a timing issue. Some other people who listened to it suggested the timing as well. I have never done it before but have read some posts on the proedure. I saw it done on my old Rangie and could never find the metal markings so i'm hoping the defender is not gonna be a problem in that regard. My question is how do i know when I have the timing right? Obviously if my issue is gone then great but is there a setting i'm supposed to gunning for? Any input would be great. Thanks
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Don't know what else..

Ok, I played with the timing. Tried advancing it.. noises still happen. Currently it is dead set on the white hash mark that was in there (i'm guessing that's where it's supposed to be) and it is still making the noise. Replaced the fuel filter with no change. It sounds almost like the engine is backfiring. It only occurs under load above 2500 rpms. If I creep the rpms up in first gear to around 3300 there is no noise but if I get on it then the gurgling/backfiring occurs yet no performance problems. doesn't run hot, idles fine. I didn't retard the timing as the engine started to stutter at idle so i figured that wasn't the answer. Any advice?? I need to tow my race car 800 miles next weekend with the 90 so I really need to sort this one out. Thanks for any help.
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Joeplumbo
Joe PLumbo
1993 110

Had a similiar issue with chugging/backfire after warm up. Turned out to be the genuine LR rotor was no good after 600 miles. Replaced with non genuine and have been fine since.
Joe
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Definitely try changing the rotor. Had the exact same thing twice in the last year due to crappy rotors.
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Funny, I did just recently change the rotor about 700 miles ago. I"ll give it a shot.
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Ok tried testing the rotor with a method I found in another thread. Held the lead from the coil over the rotor with the cap off and there was no spark. According the to thread that's supposed to be the sign of a good rotor. However I have not tested another one yet. I tried pulling the vaccum line for the advance and sucking on it, rpms did kick up a bit so i'm assuming that's working. How do I test fuel pressure? I hear the pump kick in and the noise doesn't occur under 2500 rpms regardless of throttle position so i'm thinking it's not the pump.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Did you turn the key a bit with the coil wire over the rotor? If the rotor is completely shot, the spark will disappear down through the distributor, and not go out through the rotor arm. Your rotor doesn't sound to be completely shot, so you may still get some spark.
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

OK still fighitng this gremlin. Most recently I tried removing the MAF plug to put the ecu into limp mode. No change at all besides my exhaust stinking. Further troubleshooting shows that the noise is completely dependent on throttle position, not rpms. While the throttle position is more sensitive at higher rpms as is the popping/backfiring, once i'm off the gas, runs smooth. I tried taking the 90 and a 5000 pound trailer to the top of a hill went down and engine braked from 4k rpms while off the gas and the engine ran fine, no popping. Accelerating under load (towing) with the pedal flored, starts off as a deep,hollow sounding chug and turns into a popping backfiring noise. Tried yanking the TPS and the engine wouldn't idle. Tried manually activating the sensor with the engine at idle and I could hear changes occuring which makes me think the TPS sensor is fine. So far it's not the exhaust, not the rotor, not any sensors, replaced fuel filter, replaced 02 sensors, timing is dead on. ugh any other troubleshooting suggestions?
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:24 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

The noise is coming out of the intake. Is there a chance that the timing chain has stretched? The engine only has 50K on it.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I doubt it, there is quite a lot of play in them by most engine's standards. You might want to take the valve covers off and take a look in there. Chances are they're leaking anyway, so if nothing else it is a good excuse to finally replace the gaskets with a brand new leaking one no doubt!
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Stephan,

Did you ever dertermine the source of this issue. I am experiencing something similar. I dont think it is related, but it seems to have started after switching distrib to a Mallory Unilite. I did notice that the hose clamp securing the air intake hose had worked loose. I tightened the clamp and I have seen considerable improvement, but problem still exists, albeit not as bad. I am not ruling out problems other issues with this intake hose, but wanted to see if you found some other cause.
Thanks,
Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions