Gullwing Windows - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 17th, 2016, 01:47 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Gullwing Windows

I'm looking to replace my rear sliding windows with a single pane of glass, but I would really like to not give up the ventilation and access that comes with rear-sliding windows.

I came across these rear gullwing windows (come in glass as pictured or aluminum for higher security but you give up the visibility of course).

After I recovered from the sticker shock, I was further disappointed to learn that they don't have a partial-open position that might be safe / secure while driving. I know some trucks, SUVs and even mini-vans have pop-open rear windows that are secured with a latch but they barely open 1-2 inches.

I'd love to fabricate something like the above pictured gullwing window and marry it to a releasable limited opening latch for use while on the road (best of both worlds in terms of full-open ability and venting while in motion).

I'd love to hear if anyone else has come up with solutions to open/vent a solid pane rear window and or if anyone has a great idea on how to secure the gullwing window (or make my own for less $$)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
I have a gullwing which can be found as a small project thread. I've done several FIY fab attempts at saving money. I've learned that unless you have a full shop, most DIY fab jobs aren't worth the money invested. you end up crap and for a little more (all in) you'd having something professional and fit for job.

When you do the research, you'll find that the hardware alone is half the cost.

why do you need the windows to open only a little bit? what's wrong with sliding glass if you need them to only open a little?

if it's rattles that bother you, just get the gutter overhaul kit which will fix your issue.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2016, 02:07 PM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

I rebuilt both my windows with the Garrison kit, new metal Masai latches and tracks from Zack at Rovers North for $175ish. Better than new with zero rattles.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:21 PM
ghoregon
Greg H
1984 Defender 90 Ex-MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I rebuilt both my windows with the Garrison kit, new metal Masai latches and tracks from Zack at Rovers North for $175ish. Better than new with zero rattles.
Dave, do you have the part numbers for the Masai latches and the tracks handy? I have the Garrison kit already, but like the idea of doing the tracks and latches at the same time.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:39 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
I began looking for replacement options because my existing windows are: non-locking / latching, drafty, leak water, rattle, and un-tinted. As I started looking at the cost to re-gutter, lock, seal, and tint I began wondering if I was better off starting with a new kit (kind of to Overlander's point about custom fab being more trouble and often the same cost as buying a pre-made solution).

I'm looking at the Garrison kit (thanks, I had not seen this one) now but it would still require locks or latches to secure it. Further I need a seal for between the two panes of glass to stop water/wind and want to tint the glass. And after-market tint on the inside is never as good as factory tint built into the glass.
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:41 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Are the forerunner gull wings tinted? The are pretty slick and probably worth the asking price
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
Looking at restoring a '89 Defender

My buddy had them installed and says the hydraulics are pretty stiff and you can drive (or safari) with them open.

I do like the idea of being able to have them secured barely open for ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:42 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Couldn't you just put a removable limit strap on them? I'm planning on adding one to my 110 to access the fridge and recovery gear. I don't foresee a reason for me to only have them open a bit but I'm sure you could add some type of detachable cable.
Old October 17th, 2016, 09:47 PM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

I'll find the parts number and post a link.
Old October 17th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Viton
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4

The NAS sliders are very easy to open from the outside even when fully closed & latched.

Slide a metal yard stick (or any some-what stout metal strip) in between the 2 pieces of glass.
Push the latch in & hold it, while keeping it pressed, push the glass to the rear with your free hand.
Reach in and unlock the drivers or passenger door .... Done !!
Old October 17th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
The NAS sliders are very easy to open from the outside even when fully closed & latched.

Slide a metal yard stick (or any some-what stout metal strip) in between the 2 pieces of glass.
Push the latch in & hold it, while keeping it pressed, push the glass to the rear with your free hand.
Reach in and unlock the drivers or passenger door .... Done !!
Mantec window guards

Old October 18th, 2016, 08:10 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
Couldn't you just put a removable limit strap on them? I'm planning on adding one to my 110 to access the fridge and recovery gear. I don't foresee a reason for me to only have them open a bit but I'm sure you could add some type of detachable cable.
Agree. The idea of a limit strap seems simple enough but I was wondering if the hydraulics are stiff enough (sounds like they might be) to remain open at speed. The strap keeps the windows from opening more but might not keep them from slamming shut if a semi-truck (18 wheeler) roars by or you bounce over a bridge joint, cattle guard, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I'll find the parts number and post a link.
If you find something suitable please do post a part # or link. That would be great.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Bear View Post
Agree. The idea of a limit strap seems simple enough but I was wondering if the hydraulics are stiff enough (sounds like they might be) to remain open at speed. The strap keeps the windows from opening more but might not keep them from slamming shut if a semi-truck (18 wheeler) roars by or you bounce over a bridge joint, cattle guard, etc.

If you find something suitable please do post a part # or link. That would be great.
yes. the struts would keep it open at speed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
window, windows, wing