Grounding issues - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnecc View Post
I found two grounding straps that seemed in okay condition but weren't connected to anything. They're on the bulkhead engine side and maybe 8" long. One on the passenger side (behind the heater box) and one on the driver side (behind the brake components). Where should these go to?
Ex mill. FFR? They connect to the bonnet( hood). Some one removed them to make it easy to remove the bonnet. I doubt they're needed if you aren't into radio transmission in a big way.

Of course this opinion is based on just a few words of description and no photo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Yea, ex mil ffr...have more loose ends than I know what to do with. Bonnet looks right but isn't that a weird place to ground? I started to have trouble once I connected my radio so maybe it'll help. In terms of ground straps the only ones I found are engine to frame, and then the two bulkheads to hood. Am I missing any?
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:55 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Bonnet is a perfectly good place to ground. When you're grounding a truck for radio use, you want to tie every big metal piece together, forming one big ground plane. The ground plane acts like a big reflector for the antenna and makes your antennas more efficient and reflect less of the signal back at the radio. Whether you have a military radio, ham radio, or even CB, it helps a lot.

If I recall correctly, there should also be ground straps tying the tub to the frame (front and rear) as well as ground straps tying the front wings to the bulkhead (or maybe frame). More grounding is always a good thing. Still, for your problem, one bad ground in your dash or fuse panel or radio could be the cause of your problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:12 AM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
I was cleaning and reattaching ground straps today, I got the one from frame to engine and also found one from bulkhead to frame, both seemed to be in fine shape but I cleaned the grounding connections anyways. Also not sure where to attach the grounding straps from the bulkhead to the hood; would it be okay to use the hinge bolts on the underside?

Lastly, I'm not sure where to find the ground for my fuses? I don't see any black wires or similar running from them? I was under the assumption there'd be an obvious ground they tie into.
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:41 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
btw do not apply dielectric grease to your electrical connections.

dielectric grease by definition prevents conduction.

Ground is done through the zinc plated steel fuse mount plate, which is then bolted to the bulkhead to complete the electrical ground.
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:57 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Have you grounded your stereo directly to the battery yet?

/
/
/
/
Old March 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
btw do not apply dielectric grease to your electrical connections.

dielectric grease by definition prevents conduction.

Ground is done through the zinc plated steel fuse mount plate, which is then bolted to the bulkhead to complete the electrical ground.
Thanks for the tip. How is the fuse plate a ground though? I see it holding relays and fuse panels etc, but I don't see any wires running from the fuse panel housing to the zinc plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Have you grounded your stereo directly to the battery yet?
I avoided doing that because earlier in this thread someone said my radio could then turn into a ground, draw heat, and become a fire hazard.
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:19 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
I've cleaned, reconnected, etc every ground I could fine- and they all looked decent to begin with except maybe one. I've checked the fuses, and ungrounded the radio and I'm still not getting a turn signal with the engine running.

If I turn the key to acc, no turn signals, but if I start it, then turn it off, then turn the key back to acc, I get my turn signals, but if I then start it again, no turn signals. Everything else is working and I'm thinking maybe the radio was just a coincidence.

Could it be the turn signal switch?
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:59 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Try cleaning the contacts on the switch next.

/
/
/
/
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Also clean the contacts for the fuse. That was my issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions