Ground locations behind dash? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Jerome
Jerome
1987 110

Ground locations behind dash?

Hi all, first post here. I have a 1987 110 in my shop, and have been working on a bunch of different electrical issues, as well as installing new lights, trailer plug, etc. right now I believe I have a bad ground coming off of the rear defroster solenoid, specifically on the black/pink wire. [U]Does anybody know where this ground connection terminates[/U]? it looks to go into the main harness behind the dash. Is my only option to pull the dash apart and trace it? my manual's wiring diagrams seem mostly useless.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is not one of the ones on the engine side of the bulkhead?
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:26 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
You should find the main harness does ground on the engine side of the B/H, usually a bolt thru the B/H just inboard of the clutch peddle box. In my rebuild of B777 ONR I have added a ground wire from that point to the chassis.

You should not find any grounds behind the dash, even the fuse & relay panel has a ground wire to the main harness, at least on the older LD's

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Jerome
Jerome
1987 110

Well, there isn't a similar wire terminating there, I suppose it could be, but since it tests as open with my multimeter I don't know of another way to tell besides tracing it. I was hoping someone would know if there's a hidden ground location behind the dash.

------ Follow up post added April 25th, 2013 01:30 PM ------

Thank you Roverman2010, so tearing the dash apart probably isnt going to reveal my problem then. I'll investigate further and post if I find the problem.
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Only ground I know of (NAS) on the inside of the bulkhead is the wiper motor. You sure your rear defrost is factory?
Old April 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Jerome
Jerome
1987 110

So, here is what I've found in the last hour or so of tinkering. It appears my wiring diagram for a rear defrost system does match up with what I've got in there, so not completely useless. There is power to the switch with ignition on, and when you flip the switch there b+ coming out to both white/green wires, one of which illuminates the dash light, and the other goes to the coil part of the relay. Also the relay has power coming into it from the large brown wire (labeled N in the diagram). what I cant find is where the black/pink coming out of the relay goes, this wire should provide ground in order to switch the relay on allowing power to flow through to the large brown/white wire and back to my rear window, according to the diagram that black pink is supposed to have a diode in it, and then it goes to component #1 which is called a "voltage sensitive switch". I cant find either the diode or the voltage sensitive switch. what I do know is when I ground the black pink coming on the back of the relay, it clicks and power flows to the rear defrost. So anybody know where the diode and voltage sensitive switch are?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	70762  
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
that diode in the drawing is if not mistaken is part of the reply? protects relays father up from damage.

voltage conditioner should on the B/H or side panel behind the dash panel, fits into a four finger bracket or did

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash