Ground issue after new fuel gauge - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2016, 10:42 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Ground issue after new fuel gauge

Installed a new fuel gauge and everything went south... Everything worked fine before the new gauge, but after I installed and wired the new gauge the temperature in the madman ems started acting up... When I turn on anything electrical the temperature starts to go up and down. If I pull the ebrake then the temperature changes accordingly.. The ebrake isn't connected to anything O_o

Any Ideas??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2016, 05:46 AM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
I had a similar issue of the temp increasing when I pressed the brake. Definitely a grounding issue. Started when I changed a headlight and ended two months later when it was traced to the right rear brake light. Get a multimeter and start tracing. Wires....

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2016 03:48 AM ------

Also I believe the ebrake should activate a warning light. Check the main earthing points from the engine to the chassis. Download the wiring diagrams for model and you might be able to trace it to a specific area. I ended up having to have all my brake light connections soldered to help alleviate the problem.
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:06 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Pablo, this is the wiring diagram that I use for my Tithonus, if you don't have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90_&_110_FFR_wiring.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	151582   Click image for larger version

Name:	90_FFR_wiring_key.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	151583  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2016, 07:12 AM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Pablo, this is the wiring diagram that I use for my Tithonus, if you don't have it.
Thanks!

------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2016 05:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
I had a similar issue of the temp increasing when I pressed the brake. Definitely a grounding issue. Started when I changed a headlight and ended two months later when it was traced to the right rear brake light. Get a multimeter and start tracing. Wires.... ------ Follow up post added June 11th, 2016 03:48 AM ------ Also I believe the ebrake should activate a warning light. Check the main earthing points from the engine to the chassis. Download the wiring diagrams for model and you might be able to trace it to a specific area. I ended up having to have all my brake light connections soldered to help alleviate the problem.
My issue is when I do anything though... Brakes, ebrake, hazards, blinkers, wipers, etc...

And on top of everything it cranks slow... I thought it was the battery but it keeps doing it even after I installed a fresh new battery..

Could I have skipped a main ground when i swapped in the 200tdi?
Old June 11th, 2016, 12:49 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

It ended up being the starter, luckily I had a spare and swapped it out... I learned a couple of new curse words in the process and I might have even cried... Should have dropped the downpipe i guess... But all is good now hahah

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions