Grinding wiper gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2013, 05:37 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Grinding wiper gears

Hi folks. I switched my wipers from RHD to LHD recently. I bought new (Britpart, oops?) wiper boxes, and used my existing wiper drive cable.

Now when I run the wipers, if I don't put any load on the driver's side wiper arm, everything works fine. However, if I put the wiper against the window, the cable screw doesn't catch properly on the wiper box gears. See http://www.clarke.ca/files/IMG_5297.MOV to understand what I mean.

The easy answer is "don't buy Britpart", and maybe that's right. However, I'd like to get to the bottom of this before I potentially buy new parts and rip apart the dash to fix this problem.

I assumed that Britpart wiper boxes work with Genuine drive cables, but do they have different gear ratios or something? That would be really dumb if so. It didn't seem to work really well when I was pushing the cable through by hand. I did test the wipers before putting the dash back together, but I didn't have wiper arms yet so there was no load on them to cause this problem.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Trey C
Trey Crowther
1983 V8 110 County

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Hi folks. I switched my wipers from RHD to LHD recently. I bought new (Britpart, oops?) wiper boxes, and used my existing wiper drive cable.

Now when I run the wipers, if I don't put any load on the driver's side wiper arm, everything works fine. However, if I put the wiper against the window, the cable screw doesn't catch properly on the wiper box gears. See http://www.clarke.ca/files/IMG_5297.MOV to understand what I mean.

The easy answer is "don't buy Britpart", and maybe that's right. However, I'd like to get to the bottom of this before I potentially buy new parts and rip apart the dash to fix this problem.

I assumed that Britpart wiper boxes work with Genuine drive cables, but do they have different gear ratios or something? That would be really dumb if so. It didn't seem to work really well when I was pushing the cable through by hand. I did test the wipers before putting the dash back together, but I didn't have wiper arms yet so there was no load on them to cause this problem.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
I went through this. There is a bendable tab on the wheel box that is meant to be bent in to tighten the cable contact with the worm gear. Directions are in the workshop manual
Old October 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey C View Post
I went through this. There is a bendable tab on the wheel box that is meant to be bent in to tighten the cable contact with the worm gear. Directions are in the workshop manual
Trey is so young, so tall, and so experienced!
You hit the proverbial nail on the head, have the right end of the stick, and are the giant of wiper cross head and rack wheel box advice!
What's it like being the man?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Trey C
Trey Crowther
1983 V8 110 County

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Trey is so young, so tall, and so experienced!
You hit the proverbial nail on the head, have the right end of the stick, and are the giant of wiper cross head and rack wheel box advice!
What's it like being the man?
I just get yelled @ a lot.
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

That may be, but you can clean 2 gallons of ATF out the back of a 110 in seconds which should get you the charitable helping icon of those that need to sleep in the back, but want to avoid a mass of lingering used smelly ATF!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

In my case, it was the top lip that I had to push down. Maybe I mounted the wiper motor a few mm too low on the bulkhead, which pushed everything out slightly from where it is supposed to be. Progressively pushing down that tab with a pair of vice grips seems to have solved my wiper problem though.

Thanks Trey for the tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4174.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	82898  
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:34 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
When replacing or servicing the wheel boxes on the drivers side is it possible to access and remove without dropping the steering column? Looks tight as hell in there.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:42 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
When replacing or servicing the wheel boxes on the drivers side is it possible to access and remove without dropping the steering column? Looks tight as hell in there.

Clay
Replacing my bulkhead is what precipitated this work, so I wasn't trying to replace everything in situ. However, when I tightened everything up in the photo above, I took off the top of the dashboard, and loosened/removed the gauge pod. I didn't drop the steering column or remove the steering wheel. I probably did remove the ridiculously short speedometer cable though.

- Andrew.
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
When replacing or servicing the wheel boxes on the drivers side is it possible to access and remove without dropping the steering column? Looks tight as hell in there. Clay
Nope, no need to drop the steering column. Just removes the defrost bent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2654784045.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	89716  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions