Grinding in 4th - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
megamatt
Matt Kudlow
95 White

Grinding in 4th

In my short ownership I have noticed my truck is grinding when I put it in 4th. I don't have any other issues and it might be me shifting too fast but I was wondering if this was a sign of worse things coming? It doesn't happen when I take it out of gear just when I go from 3rd to 4th. Can this be fixed easily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Matt congrats on getting your truck! ... Grinding between gears is likely the synchromesh is worn ... its the bit in the gearbox that matches the gears speeds to avoid crunching and the extra wear that is associated.

2nd gear is a pretty common for synchro wear in defenders .. 4th gear less common.

Couple of things to try ... firstly make sure you have the recommended oil and it's at the right level ... you can 'blip' the accelerator when it's out of third, before you insert to 4th. Or you can just let the revs fall to a low level by making a slow change.

Fixing the synchromesh means a gearbox rebuild ... kits are available but certainly not a simple fix.

The good news is that you can run a long time ( years! ) with a worn synchro if you take steps to avoid crunching the gears.

Are you going to post some pics of your truck??
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
megamatt
Matt Kudlow
95 White

Damn, so your saying I could possibly be in for a big bill? You guys were right, these things take a beating on your wallet. I will try your recommendation and see how long I can make this thing last.

Pics coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:45 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Have you checked the fluid? Get you some Redline MTL and report back.
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:19 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamatt View Post
Damn, so your saying I could possibly be in for a big bill? You guys were right, these things take a beating on your wallet. I will try your recommendation and see how long I can make this thing last.

Pics coming soon.
It could run for years ...I've had mine grinding second for 2 years without issue .... I'm sure the previous owner had it aswell. consider it a quirk ... lots of people on the board have a crappy 2nd gear!

The trick is to not make it worse .. changing the oil may cure it if someone put the wrong oil in!
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM
megamatt
Matt Kudlow
95 White

I have not checked the fluid yet as I am traveling but the truck is due for a full fluid change when I return. I will report if there is any improvement.
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
No good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions