Grinding, Clanking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Grinding, Clanking

Hey~

Out of nowhere I have a metal on metal grinding, clanking noise coming from up front. I tried isolate it but can't seem to. It is definitely drivetrain as it only happens while moving and I can hear it if I coast with the engine off. Transmission shifts fine. Pulled the front drive shaft and U Joints seem fine. Also pulled the passenger side wheel and bearings look fine (sounded more like front passenger side and not driver's side). Could it be the front diff or the transfer case and still be able to drive? I drove it to where my tools are about 12 miles from my house and besides the noise operated fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Broken CV joint
Broken diff or T-case diff
Blown wheel bearing
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:43 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I had the same problem last summer and was also convinced that it was drivetrain related. Ended up being wheel bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
I had the same problem last summer and was also convinced that it was drivetrain related. Ended up being wheel bearings.
Probably related to all that mud in your avatar
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

while it's running Try putting the t-case in neutral, trans in fifth and let the clutch up. Crawl under the truck and listen. If it's in the t-case or trans, you will hear it. Similar thing happened to me, ended up being a bearing in the t-case.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
while it's running Try putting the t-case in neutral, trans in fifth and let the clutch up. Crawl under the truck and listen. If it's in the t-case or trans, you will hear it. Similar thing happened to me, ended up being a bearing in the t-case.
Gracias. Sounds like a good troublingshoot method that I didn't know you could do.

If it was CV wouldn't you think that the noise would change on turning? Just trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Follow-up Post:

Troublingshoot? Wow I need to lay off the caffiene.

B
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Bill, pull the front driveshaft and lock the center diff and drive it (i couldn't tell if you actually drove it with it out or not). If you hear the noise with it out, then it's not that (and likely the wheel bearings). To make a noticeable noise I think you'd be able to feel movement by pushing/pulling on the front wheels while lifted.

I'd pull the rear driveshaft as well to rule that out - sometimes the noise location can be deceiving.

charles
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Bill, pull the front driveshaft and lock the center diff and drive it (i couldn't tell if you actually drove it with it out or not). If you hear the noise with it out, then it's not that (and likely the wheel bearings). To make a noticeable noise I think you'd be able to feel movement by pushing/pulling on the front wheels while lifted.

I'd pull the rear driveshaft as well to rule that out - sometimes the noise location can be deceiving.

charles
I only pulled half of the shaft connected to the front flange and hand moved the shaft around to see if there was any noise or play from the u-joints. I was running out of daylight and the bolts connect the shaft to the transfer case were being a PITA to get off, so I doused them with PB Blaster and there they sit. So this weekend I will pull the front shaft and test out your method. Gracias.
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Just an update to this in case someone runs a search later on.

So I could have sworn the noise was coming from the front right, but definitely somewhere from the front if not the right. Turned out to be the rear shaft u-joints. Go figure right? I never experienced any vibration, but the truck would sometimes clunk when put in first. I had attributed this to the rear a arm ball joint, but note it can be just the U-joints.

B

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions