Gremlins in the 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2004, 02:55 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Gremlins in the 90

Well the gremlins have got into the motor good & proper.
The clutch seems to have "fixed itself" but then yesterday I lost all power at medium to higher revs
Max speed 40 mph... bad, very bad, or seemed a bit like fuel starvation on a petrol truck. Fiddled about a bit, draining the fuel filter seemed to help a bit - for about 5 minutes driving time and then it was back to no power. Well I changed the fuel filter and normal service was resumed

Then when I turned the ignition off the engine just kept running sweetly
I wasn't quick enough removing the old fuel filter full of gremlins and now they're in the fuel pump.
It's a PITA to get the fuel stop solenoid out with the pump in place and a major job to remove the fuel injection pump to get the stop solenoid out. I just know that there's a bit of swarf in there doing untold damage.
What to do that is the question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well after you drop the tank you can cut a door into the tub so that next time you don't need to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump. Did you just fill up on fuel? Maybe the service sating you filled up at had a bad run of gas and it is causing your problems.
Old November 6th, 2004, 03:16 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Ah..... if only it was that simple, on a diesel the tank merely holds the fuel. the injection pump hangs off of the side of the engine and is covered in pipes that get in the was when you try to remove the fuel stop solenoid. Iv'e never managed to remove the offending item with the injection pump on the engine despite 'customising' a 24mm spanner. Last time the fuel pump self destructed I had a 500 bill for a rebuild (new injection pumps are 2000), and had to disassemble the front of the engine. Water pump, front pully on the end of the crank, timing belt cover, timing belt , radiator cowell, fan & viscous fan hub all have to come apart. then all the injection lines, then the injection pump.
Diesels.....great when they're going, disaster when they're not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

EEEK! Sorry. Good luck!
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:23 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Thanks
I'm going to fashon a special tool this morning (ground down 24mm ring spanner and try to remove the stop solenoid with the injection pump in place....... more later. probably pics of skinned knuckles & spanners flying around the garage
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Sorted
Quite a bit of disassembly though:- fuel pipes to each injector had to come off, and the bracket that holds the pump at the rear, the pipe to the oil cooler had to move as well. Then and only then could a 24mm open ended spanner fit on the solenoid. Once removed the tiniest bit of swarf was removed. I waved a magnet around in the solenoid hole and caught a few more bits drifting around in there too and then all back together again. Had to wind the motor over quite a bit to get rid of the air in the injection lines but it fired up and more importantly shut down again. A fine mornings work and no skinned knuckles either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid there.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1836   Click image for larger version

Name:	stripped pump.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Pump reassembled.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1838  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags