Grease or Heavy Duty oil in CV Housing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: Grease or Heavy Oil in Swivel Pin Housing
Heavy Weight Oil 11 50.00%
Recommended Grease 10 45.45%
Other 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Grease or Heavy Duty oil in CV Housing

Justed wanted to get a broader idea of which form of lubrication is best for the swivel pin housing. I have read the existing threads concerning this matter and it seems that some prefer a thick oil, such as EP90, and others along with Land Rover recommend the grease. I just finished rebuilding the swivel pin housing and want to make a good choice the first time.

Look forward to hearing everyones comments.

Thanks
Keith

Doc Holliday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I think you will find this one to be highly opinionated, but since you asked. I prefer Oil in the swivels. To me (assuming the owner checks the levels regularly), the oil provides better ability to 'get into' all the tight areas and lubricate properly, and it is also much easier to flush out contaminants if necessary (water crossing gone bad, etc).

In the case of Defenders, I also like it better because that was the original engineering specification for lubrication. For a long time there were never any issues with oil as a lubricant, it was just that Land Rover got tired of paying the dealers hours worth of labor to change out leaky seals, so they came up with the grease, and eliminated more seal replacements from the warranty costs budget.

I run Redline's 75W140 in the swivels (along with the diffs and t-case), I'm sure others will have many opinions to share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
IRedline's 75W140[/URL] in the swivels (along with the diffs and t-case), I'm sure others will have many opinions to share.
Another for oil. You can drain it.

I'm not an oil expert but I think you are supposed to use 75w(or 80w)-90 in all the gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Oil. I always remove the seal between the swivel and and axle so that they share oil. With oil, you know when they are leaking BEFORE you decide to go wading. With grease you get to find out after..... In proper condition, the swivels should not leak.
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:24 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Thanks guys,

John, what type of oil do you run in your front diffs with the seal off? Any negatives to removing that seal? I was actually wondering about doing that exact same thing. Is the seal there because Land Rover specified different oils for the diff and swivel pin housing?

Doc Holliday
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:02 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

If you mix oil 50/50 with the grease you get both the improved lubrication of the moly grease and the ability to drain it after sitting stuck in the mud for hrs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TND90
Thanks guys,

John, what type of oil do you run in your front diffs with the seal off? Any negatives to removing that seal? I was actually wondering about doing that exact same thing. Is the seal there because Land Rover specified different oils for the diff and swivel pin housing?
A 75W90 synthetic, usually Redline. With the range of temperatures I see up here, a wider range of viscosity is a good idea. Rover does not specify different oil (or didn't).

There is no downside. In Australia, they have been doing it since the 70s. You should overfill a bit as the swivel levels are higher than the axle, but I suspect it really does not matter. On the initial fill, make sure you fill the swivels as well.
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:14 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
If you mix oil 50/50 with the grease you get both the improved lubrication of the moly grease and the ability to drain it after sitting stuck in the mud for hrs.
What He said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
I always remove the seal between the swivel and and axle so that they share oil.
I do this too..

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions