Grease on water pump gasket? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Grease on water pump gasket?

I'm fitting a new water pump and the manual says to "smear a small quantity of grease on both sides of the new gasket...." Regular grease on a coolant fitting? Just thought a little grease would get into the coolant and not be ideal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Don't use grease. Use RTV, it will help the gasket stick in place and also help in keeping it from leaking. You only need a slim coating on both sides of the gasket.

I prefer to use the ultra black permatex RTV on everything, or Hondabond HT. I think that hondbond HT is the best non-shrinking/drying sealant on the market but it is very expensive.

Also to keep your waterpump bolts from rusting or leaking you can use a threadsealant on them like:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._with_PTFE.htm

The pic below is from some subie website but demonstrates the point, I tend to use less then this amount on the mating face and on the other side of the gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NrePumpSealant.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	47287  
Old February 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I always use Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket on paper gaskets. It is available at most auto parts stores and I think its less than $8.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut..._Sealant_a.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Us old timers just use a little grease or vaseline. You should barely be able to feel it on the gasket, put it on both sides.
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Lots of opinions for sure. I did get some of that thread sealant for the bolts. Thanks for that because I couldn't find any Loctite 572 per the manual. I got another opinion on the gasket issue from the guy at the parts house, but I don't really trust it for certain because he said to use Threadlocker blue on the bolts, and I'm pretty sure that's not right. Anyway, he said to use Indian Head Gasket Shellac. Never heard of it, but I gets it's pretty old school which is always cool. Still have to decide what to use, but thanks for the suggestions.

Old February 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Fwiw I use blue loctite on the water pump bolts. Any bolts that go through a cooling passage I use liquid pipe thread sealant, but loctite or right stuff work just as well. I think you are over thinking this a little bit.
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I think you are over thinking this a little bit.
Yeah, I'm prone to do that sometimes. My daughter put it in in high school shop class last year with very little guidance from the shop teacher so the gasket leaks a little. It's also a warranty replacement, so I don't want to have to open this thing up again. This truck has many other areas of need that I'd like to get to. Thanks for the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, water, water pump