Grease is the word - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 1st, 2016, 05:17 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Grease is the word

I'm installing new bearings when I do a disc brake conversion. What to the consensus of wheel bearing grease. AutoZone stocks Mobil 1 Synthetic and Lucas Red N' Tacky. They have about the same specs. At this moment I'm planning or running wet hubs but I may stay stock.
Thanks and here is the mandatory Grease video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2016, 05:37 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Both are very respected products. In this instance you couldn't go wrong with either.
Old September 1st, 2016, 05:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I'm installing new bearings when I do a disc brake conversion. What to the consensus of wheel bearing grease. AutoZone stocks Mobil 1 Synthetic and Lucas Red N' Tacky. They have about the same specs. At this moment I'm planning or running wet hubs but I may stay stock.
I just use the "bucket" of Valvoline red grease you get at Napa, and has been fine. FYI...if you're running wet hubs, grease is really a bit of a moot point since it'll get all mixed up with the 90W anyhow and won't last/stay long in the bearings anyhow (I do still recommend you pack them up even if running wet hubs, can never have enough lube!).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2016, 08:03 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I doesn't really matter.
Old September 1st, 2016, 08:24 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I use std. dyno stuff. I have 2 types.
One can I have, and it's old, looks like dull snot & seems almost fibrous as I pull a wad of it out of the can.
The other is dark, almost black and very smooth and sticky.

I always put some extra in there thinking that maybe centrifugal forces & heat will give a little extra to the bearings.
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:00 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Thanks! The first tub I picked up said not to be used with vehicles with disc brakes. I'll either get the tub of Mobil 1 or hit up NAPA in the morning.
Old September 1st, 2016, 10:35 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

You got me thinking about the disc brake thing, checked both if mine neither are for disc brakes, thousands of miles later and I just put all new discs on a few thousand miles ago.

Well, here's Google's disc brake grease search
https://www.google.com/#q=disc+brake...bearing+grease
Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:02 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post

I've been using Lucas X-tra heavy duty grease...most auto stores carry it as well as Walmart. Ike Goss swears by SIG-3000 grease but I couldn't find a local supplier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions