GPS units - let's look at options again... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

GPS units - let's look at options again...

Ok - so I am in the market for a GPS unit.
I've done a lilttle research - reading old threads, etc. and I am sure since those threads were posted newer models are now available. FYI -A lot of posters recommended the Garmin 276c or 376c.

So what's the GPS to get now?

I am looking for one that I can move between vehicles and that can plot points (need for work and play).
One that is somewhat easy to use and that is a quality unit.

Option #1 - Let's pretend money is no problem - what would you buy and why?

Option#2 - Let's be realistic - Money is a concern and I want good value for monies spent - what would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Garmin products are the best, so stick with them. I use a 496 in my helicopter, boat and d90. It has 3 settings, one for air, one for marine, and one for driving. On top of all that, it has XM radio built in with XM weather with real time weather overlayed onto the moving map. I would buy this one over and over again and can't tell you how awesome it is. Before this one I had a 296 which is now at the bottom of the Chattahoochee River after a canoe trip gone bad. They just lowered the price on the 496 and for all the features it has, I think it is a deal.

97 D90 SW
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Paul I have the Garmin 276c and love it. I think I showed it to you at MAR. The only difference between the 276c and 376c is the 376c has something where you can run XM radio to it and it tells you the weather report, which to me was so minor that I i got the 276c instead. Plus my phone gives me the weather anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "Points" but I have the C330 and have been very happy with it. It has served me well and is very affordable at amazon.
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I think he means waypoints

97 D90 SW
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Probably a stupid question...

Is there a monthly subscription fee associated with these GPS units after the initial purchase cost?
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
No.
But if you get one with xm capabilities then you have to subscribe to xm if you want it.

97 D90 SW
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Shawn, how does the Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.) work on the 496? I was in a car with the Nuvi GPS that had up to date traffic rerouting via MSN® Direct I believe, hence my earlier question about subscription.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Captainruss
Russ Bowles
03 Disco II

Paul, here is the best deal I can find other than ebay: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap276c.htm
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Epsom_D2
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE

Registry
I have a Delorme PN-20 GPS and the only complaint I have is that it takes a little longer than I would like to recalculate directions. Maps and data are all displayed exactly as on the computer version of Topo 6 and you can input USGS topo quads, aerial photos, sat photos etc. and they all display on the GPS. The accuracy is quite good and the price isn't bad either at $370.00. www.delorme.com

The Garmin units are nice but as I used Delorme software for GIS and topo prior this was a nice easy transition.

S-P
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Thanks for the info..

Dan and the other 276c users - With the Garmin 276c unit - is the preloaded maps good or did you need to add additional info like the advertised "Auto Navigation Kit"?
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

i just picked up a used 276C on craigslist for $300 including the auto navigation kit and bluechart software. it is a great little machine and a huge step up from the old garmin V plus i was using prior. the pre loaded maps are not that great, but most of the units should come with at least the newest version of Mapsource which i find fairly easy to use and pretty up to date. as simple as it is, one of the things i love about the 276 is it's ability to show vehicle battery voltage on the main screen. just one less gauge i need to add to the truck. using the buttons instead of a touch screen may not be as user friendly, but i still have not found any real issues other than speed of use. definitely recommend the 276.
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Captainruss
Russ Bowles
03 Disco II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd
Thanks for the info..

Dan and the other 276c users - With the Garmin 276c unit - is the preloaded maps good or did you need to add additional info like the advertised "Auto Navigation Kit"?
Although I'm not a user, I do understand them a bit from using the same and similar models on the water. The auto kit has a more detailed version of local roads and highways including points of interest plus the little speaker thing for the 12v power cord so it can tell you when to turn. The built-in stuff sticks mainly to major highways and routes. For off-road applications, you can pick up the topo CD from Garmin, (not sure if it is compatible with the Nat'l Geographic topos), and it will keep track of you when you are off in the woods.

What's nice is that then you can have it plot your route through the trail and then you can save that route and refer to it the next time you are on that trail.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

I use the Garmin GPSMap 478 in my 90 and have found it to be invaluable with the XM weather when deep off road. It really helps to see where the storm cells are when deciding whether it's time to hunker down or run for it. The external antennas also really help with reception when under tree cover. It easy enough to move from vehicle to vehicle and it even has nautical charts if you want to use it on a boat.

DMAX
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd
Thanks for the info..

Paul you need the auto kit. I bought mine off eBay for a great price and I got it in and was learning how to use it when i was like "wait why the hell aren't streets showing up!" and that was because i needed the maps. there are two types of maps. City Navigator North America 2008 and City Navigator North America NT. they are both the same, but the NT is programmed different to pack more info onto the memory stick in the Garmin device. If you are only really driving around the northeast like i do, then a 128mb card will do. but if you want the whole US obviously you will need a bigger card.

Also, the MapSource program only works on a PC. This is the program Garmin makes to upload maps and basically control your device and set it up. I have a MAC, so i run Boot Camp on a partitioned drive to use Windows to use MapSource.

Paul I can talk you through everything you need. get my number from Ron, and give me a ring and I can give you more info on the maps, because there is a secret to getting free maps
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

secret ? free maps ? I have the 2610 street pilot and was about to pony up for the new 2008 disc.......
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
secret ? free maps ? I have the 2610 street pilot and was about to pony up for the new 2008 disc.......
well right now I don't think you can get a free map. but basically in short, you download the newest version of city navigator call Garmin and tell them you have a copy but lost the unlock code and you basically buy an unlock code from them for $25 bucks which activates the City Navigator.

but they just released the new 2008 City Navigator, so it will be hard to find it and download it. I tried this meathod with an old copy for 2007 that i had when i bought my Garmin 276c off ebay and they denied me the unlock code for it so i had to buy the new 2008 NT anyways. in the long run, the downloading part is a bit shady and they do actually make a good product. so for the $100 or so it cost i think its right to have the actual hard copy.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:20 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
Paul I can talk you through everything you need. get my number from Ron, and give me a ring and I can give you more info on the maps, because there is a secret to getting free maps
Dan,
Once I get the unit I may call...Thanks!
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

If you have a bluetooth pda you might want to do what i did and get a Garmin 10. Its a Bluetooth GPS sensor and software for a pda or laptop.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Seems like the best price on a 276C is through Amazon, $440 shipped. Anyone else find or know of a better deal?

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMap-...698848-0148940

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gps