GPS power and photochromatic mirror - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

GPS power and photochromatic mirror

I have a Garmin GPS unit that I want to hardwire above the rear view mirror. In my 110, there are 3 wires that go to my photochromatic rear view mirror. Is this enough power for the GPS? If so, which 2 wires do I use for the GPS? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

That's a good question, I'm curious about that too. So to clarify, are you trying to re-purpose the power for the rear view mirror to power only the GPS? Or are you trying to power both?

I'm not sure if it is powerful enough to power a GPS or both, but I don't know for sure. I'd compare the GPS voltage/amperage requirements of the GPS and then use a multimeter on the connector for the mirror to see if it will work or not.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORover
I have a Garmin GPS unit that I want to hardwire above the rear view mirror. In my 110, there are 3 wires that go to my photochromatic rear view mirror. Is this enough power for the GPS? If so, which 2 wires do I use for the GPS? Thanks!
The 3 wires to the mirror should be Power (Ign switched), Ground and Reverse Input. If you put a meter on them you should get 12v on 1 with the key on, 12v on a second if the truck is in reverse and continuity on the 3rd to the frame. That is if it is wired up correctly.

Depending on which other circuits are sharing the same fuse (if any) then you should be Ok for what little power draw a GPS would add to the circuit. So you would tap into the Switched Power and the Ground wires.

HTH

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Thanks! I will give that a try. The reverse input is interesting. Why would reverse have anything to do with the mirror? Thanks! Oh, I don't care about the mirror power, just want to redirect the power to the GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory
The 3 wires to the mirror should be Power (Ign switched), Ground and Reverse Input. If you put a meter on them you should get 12v on 1 with the key on, 12v on a second if the truck is in reverse and continuity on the 3rd to the frame. That is if it is wired up correctly.

Depending on which other circuits are sharing the same fuse (if any) then you should be Ok for what little power draw a GPS would add to the circuit. So you would tap into the Switched Power and the Ground wires.

HTH

Ian
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

So the mirror is not dark when you are trying to back up...

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Hooked up the voltmeter to the wires and had nothing at all register. Must be a wiring issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
So the mirror is not dark when you are trying to back up...
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
ORover
Fred
NAS 110s #24 and #466

Follow up - GPS install

Was able to successfully tap into the mirror for power. Made for a slick install in an awesome location. Had to splice into the Garmin 12v power cable right cig lighter housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORover View Post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpsrover.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	24653  
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I'm about to do this....how is the cradle for the GPS attached?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gps