goodyear MTR Kevlar - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

goodyear MTR Kevlar

anyone here using the goodyear MTR with Kevlar? thinking of buying a set but worried about the longevity. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 05:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I am also looking for tires but for my classic. I think the MTR K's have gotten good feedback. I still see more KM2's than anything. I am looking for tires for my Classic and it may end up with km2's or hankook mt's.
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
While not the MTRs, I've run the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors Pro with Kelvar. It is a great tire with essentially no road noise and an E load rating. I would recommend these AT tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Maybe try a search on Pirate4x4.com or ExpeditionPortal.com. I've been searching myself and it seems the Goodyear MTR's come up over on those 2 sites more often. From some of the posts they seem to run taller than the same size in a KM2.
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I've got right at 40k on my MTR/K's. Still plenty of thread left. They still balance. No real increase in road noise.

I was hesitant about the tire for a long time. I had really bad luck with the 'old' MTR's. I got the MTR/K's because I could not find any other decent options at the time I was buying tires. I hate the KM2's. I like the Toyo's, but could not bring myself to put something that said "Mud Country" on my truck. Did not care for the Micky T's. The Coopers were decent, but decided on the MTR/K's.

The MTR/K's are great in the snow. In Virginia 2-years ago we had that huge snow, four feet worth, and the truck plowed right on through it with no problem. I even wheeled in some hard-pac stuff in the Poconos, about 8" deep with a thick crust on top, and the tires did fine.

The tires stick to the rocks at Rausch Creek like glue. However, you have to air them down first. At 35psi, they suck on rock. At 12-15psi, they kick ass. Same in the Texas dirt and mud.

I'd buy them again.
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I've got right at 40k on my MTR/K's. Still plenty of thread left. They still balance. No real increase in road noise.

I was hesitant about the tire for a long time. I had really bad luck with the 'old' MTR's. I got the MTR/K's because I could not find any other decent options at the time I was buying tires. I hate the KM2's. I like the Toyo's, but could not bring myself to put something that said "Mud Country" on my truck. Did not care for the Micky T's. The Coopers were decent, but decided on the MTR/K's.

The MTR/K's are great in the snow. In Virginia 2-years ago we had that huge snow, four feet worth, and the truck plowed right on through it with no problem. I even wheeled in some hard-pac stuff in the Poconos, about 8" deep with a thick crust on top, and the tires did fine.

The tires stick to the rocks at Rausch Creek like glue. However, you have to air them down first. At 35psi, they suck on rock. At 12-15psi, they kick ass. Same in the Texas dirt and mud.

I'd buy them again.
Interesting - thanks for the details.

It seems a lot of people sweat the Km2's - what do you hate about them? Sidewalls? Tread? That so many people run them?

What size MTR/K are you running? Next tires I get will be 35's (or 34" whatever they measure to) and would be curious to what a 315/75-16 actualy is height wise. I know TireRack says 34.8" but not sure how acurate that is.

Your run very similiar terrain that I would do plus some: snow in the winter, Rausch Creek and typical eastern style trail so it sounds like the MTR/K would work fine. Besides snow and trail how do they do on the road?

No mention of any thing from Interco - any reason why?
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Interesting - thanks for the details.

It seems a lot of people sweat the Km2's - what do you hate about them? Sidewalls? Tread? That so many people run them?

On my 3rd set of KM2's. What I don't like is the noise and they cup quickly if you don't rotate them with every oil change. Only got 30k out of the first set of 35's on the JK. They're great off road. I would consider the MTR's if they made tall and skinny. Would also like to know which one is quieter.
Old December 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You do not like a tire and you keep buying it? Seems crazy...
Old December 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
I don't know. I just hate the way they look. I had Krawlers for a while, and looking at the thread pattern it's very similar. But the KM2's are not Krawlers. Not even close. Knowing that, but seeing the similarities between the KM2's and the Krawlers, I just see the KM2's are a cheap ripoff. It's kind of like looking at a Warn winch vs a T-Max; you've owned the Warn before and just can't bring yourself to buy something less superior. But that's my main dislike for the KM2.

There is also the performance of the tire. Sure, the KM2 does good and it's fine and all that..... but I think the MTR/K's are little better. It's hard to prove this, and someone will piss-and-moan about me saying it, but that's what I've found. But, here's an example anyway.

Here are two trucks that are set-up pretty close to the same. Only difference beside one's a D1 and the other is a D2, is that one has KM2's and the other has MTR/K's.

Here are the KM2's

And the MTR/K's
. (love the commentators)

I guess it kind of speaks for itself. Both trucks made the hill climb, only one did it with a lot less effort. I like that.

Quote:
What size MTR/K are you running? Next tires I get will be 35's (or 34" whatever they measure to) and would be curious to what a 315/75-16 actualy is height wise. I know TireRack says 34.8" but not sure how acurate that is.
I run a 265/75/16. It's like a 32" or something. I don't think it's quite 33". But I'd have to look.

I also do not know what sizes they have to offer. Justin at Lucky8 could tell you.

Quote:
Besides snow and trail how do they do on the road?
They do great on the road. I can run 80mph all day long and the steering does not beat me to death. It's tracks straight as an arrow. No vibes, pulling, bump steer, etc... They do have a howl to them, though. Not nearly as bad as the KM2's, but they will sing at 80mph. You can still have a conversation, though.
Quote:

If it's a trail rig, those are sweet tires. Love the TSL SX's. But never will I again have them on a truck I want to drive somewhere.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:26 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I love my SSRs, but holy cow they're heavy as concrete.
When I had to change I looked at KM2s but in 285/75-16 they are smaller compared to the SSRs (34").
I would have tried MTR/K but they are too expensive.
They run a little taller than KM2s though, which is good.

So I'm on my 2nd set of SSRs.

The Irok ND looks interesting too...
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:06 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The KM2s have served me well but I am running 225/75's they are extremely loud at this point. I have kept them rotated and are just beginning to cup. I guess I have 15 to 20k on them and they have more than half of the tread remaining.

It would be nice if someone would make a tire like the track edge or radial rover rt. There are no tires that offer a compromise, its either full on MT or suck AT.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

THANKS for the input on the mtr kevlar. I am sure they will serve me well off road, but glad to hear that 30k miles is possible. I drive the 110 about 10k miles per year and yes most of that is on the hwy to and from work. I don't really need the capability of the MTR/K just want the mud look and to have them available the 3 or 4 times a year that I go off road. Tires have gotten so expensive though that I need them to last at least two or three years.
Merry christmas to everyone, happy New Year.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube II View Post
I love my SSRs, but holy cow they're heavy as concrete.
When I had to change I looked at KM2s but in 285/75-16 they are smaller compared to the SSRs (34").
I would have tried MTR/K but they are too expensive.
They run a little taller than KM2s though, which is good.

So I'm on my 2nd set of SSRs.

The Irok ND looks interesting too...
Concrete is right! But they are work horses on the trail. And on road performance is not bad. Curious tho - the MTR/K's seem cheaper than the SSR's and the KM2's at least on the TireRack site. Interco's are crazy money now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
I don't know. I just hate the way they look. I had Krawlers for a while, and looking at the thread pattern it's very similar. But the KM2's are not Krawlers. Not even close. Knowing that, but seeing the similarities between the KM2's and the Krawlers, I just see the KM2's are a cheap ripoff. It's kind of like looking at a Warn winch vs a T-Max; you've owned the Warn before and just can't bring yourself to buy something less superior. But that's my main dislike for the KM2.

There is also the performance of the tire. Sure, the KM2 does good and it's fine and all that..... but I think the MTR/K's are little better. It's hard to prove this, and someone will piss-and-moan about me saying it, but that's what I've found. But, here's an example anyway.

Here are two trucks that are set-up pretty close to the same. Only difference beside one's a D1 and the other is a D2, is that one has KM2's and the other has MTR/K's.

Here are the KM2's

And the MTR/K's
. (love the commentators)

I guess it kind of speaks for itself. Both trucks made the hill climb, only one did it with a lot less effort. I like that.

I run a 265/75/16. It's like a 32" or something. I don't think it's quite 33". But I'd have to look.

I also do not know what sizes they have to offer. Justin at Lucky8 could tell you.

They do great on the road. I can run 80mph all day long and the steering does not beat me to death. It's tracks straight as an arrow. No vibes, pulling, bump steer, etc... They do have a howl to them, though. Not nearly as bad as the KM2's, but they will sing at 80mph. You can still have a conversation, though.

If it's a trail rig, those are sweet tires. Love the TSL SX's. But never will I again have them on a truck I want to drive somewhere.
Thanks for the detailed response dchapman : I'm a ways out on tires but it's one of those purchases that I put way too much time into. So it's great to hear many reasons why.

BTW, the comments in the vid were funny
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Quote:
Concrete is right! But they are work horses on the trail. And on road performance is not bad. Curious tho - the MTR/K's seem cheaper than the SSR's and the KM2's at least on the TireRack site. Interco's are crazy money now.
Dead concrete, it's even heavier.
On road performance is good for what they are!!!

When I bought them (last summer? nah before...I forgot) I was used to order from TireRack for the company I worked for...MTR/K were the dearest.
Mine didn't come cheap anyway
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
morerover
Kevin
1993 D110 NAS

Join Tread Lightly! and pay $25 membership fee to get $100 mail-in rebate for four Goodyear tires.
Old December 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Bought the Mtr Kevlar hope they last gonna check into that tread lightly deal thx for the heads up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions