good times... won't start... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:00 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

good times... won't start...

Drove around all day on Saturday with no problems, works awesome... didn't touch it on Sunday then this morning I kick on the Webasto at 6:00 am to warm up the engine at 6:30 I hop in to start it up: glow plugs seem to cycle just fine but then I switch the key to start and nothing happens. No click, no whiny engine, nothing.... fortunately I have another car I can drive to work but what should I check once I get home? I did try sticking on one of those cheap jump batteries to see if I had run the battery down but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I DID try searching the archive but I couldn't find anything that I thought was relivant... help please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Check the starter relay. You can bypass it by putting it in neutral, key in the run position, and touch a hot wire to the small spade connector on the solenoid. If it starts turning over, you starter relay is bad.

hth
charles
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

So here's the follow-up:

I got home with the intention of checking this, put the key in the ignition and it started right up with no problems at all....

I'm really glad it started but now I'm afraid of getting stranded somewhere

any further suggestions??? Maybe buy a new relay just in case that's what it was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It could be a number of things. A relay isn't a bad idea to get because it's the same relay used for a few other things I think (and it's cheap). You can also carry some wire and if it happens again, do the hot wire trick.

But it could also be bad grounds. One way to confirm that is take jumper cables and properly ground it, and alos get 12v right to it that way too.

But you still could be left stranded before figuring it out. Get AAA if you don't have it already - well worth it. Maybe try only drive it when being delayed an hour or so wouldn't be the end of the world until you figure it out?

charles
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Not sure of the steps involved in a 300 Tdi conversion, but if your ignition switch is the same, this could be a possible culprit. If it happens again, try wiggling the ignition switch and see if that changes anything. Not sure how expensive this part is. I saw it happen once before on a '94 NAS V8, but can't recall the symptoms besides the fact that it wouldn't start. Maybe someone can chime with more indications of a bad ignitition switch, or just start searching for "ignition switch".

-Neil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start