Good Rover mechanic in/around Boone, Nc - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 19th, 2015, 08:57 AM
slatelacy
Slate Lacy
94 ST

Good Rover mechanic in/around Boone, Nc

Hey folks. I've got a 94 D90 that's giving me some problems that are proving difficult for regular mechanics to figure out. Anyone close by the Boone area that may be recommended???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2015, 09:59 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatelacy View Post
Hey folks. I've got a 94 D90 that's giving me some problems that are proving difficult for regular mechanics to figure out. Anyone close by the Boone area that may be recommended???
What's going on with it? There are a few 90's and a 110 floating around Boone. Might have to go down the mountain to find someone. I'm headed there this weekend to my cabin.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:38 AM
slatelacy
Slate Lacy
94 ST

The main problem seems to involve the ecu. Not really sure. After the truck is warmed up, the idle gets erratic upon stopping. Sometimes on long downhills, the motor will actually die and I have to remove the key from the ignition and wait a few minutes before it will restart. It has been throwing fault code 44. I replaced both o2 sensors and the mass airflow and checked for vacuum leaks. This did nothing. Lately, after a lengthy hill climb, the engine bogs down and begins sputtering and the smell of unburnt fuel is almost overpowering. Another problem that may or may not be related, is battery drain. If the truck sits overnight, the battery is stone dead. A local mechanic went through and checked everything he knew to check and couldn't find any draw. His prognosis was that a mouse could have gotten into the truck over the winter and chewed up some wires, leaving something exposed that is touching a ground. This seems possible, as I have had that happen with street bikes in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:50 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
The fuel issue is interesting. Especially since you are smelling fresh gas from the front side. I wouldn't think the battery drain is related. If mice did get into it, it's tough to isolate as I had that happen on a RRC and had to wait for something to fail before figuring it out. Mine was ground to alternator. Can you get it down the mountain or trailer it?
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:52 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatelacy View Post
The main problem seems to involve the ecu.
It's easy and cheap to swap out the ECU.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:26 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Looks like there are 5 dealers in NC. They're simple machines... but poorly built. Access to some sort of ecu tester would be handy.
Great opportunity to throw a real engine in that thing. Which pretty much means anything not made for/in GB.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Hey Slate, I just had mine at Blue Ridge Roverworks in Asheville for some suspension work. Sean and Adam seem to have their stuff together.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:25 AM
slatelacy
Slate Lacy
94 ST

I might have to give them a try.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions