Good morning! Broken throttle cable - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:06 AM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Good morning! Broken throttle cable

Just venting...

My 110 is punishing me for only driving her once a week to work.

Back in the days when I was bike racing, broken cables and the like were the sort of mechanical failures that seems preventable but for the most part came out of nowhere and ended races. Usually, you would just consider it the bike gods way of saying you didn't need to race that day.

Well this morning at 545 my throttle cable decided to take a dump right outside the gate. At least I have my thermos. I'm going to have a buddy bring me some cable and some zip ties so I can limp it home.

Anyone have any suitable solutions other than the makeshift stuff I have in mind? Cable can't be spliced. Considered 550 cord to the IP, controlled out the window... But that just seemed like a bad idea for this early in the morning.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1444026677.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	746.9 KB
ID:	92626



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-209922057.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	92627
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:08 AM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Edit
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
Damn, that sux. You're must have just had it's time. that's normally never needs replacing item, but I had a new britpart one that came with my M&D 2.8 conversion kit, and in the first few months failed on me. replaced with original and haven't had an issue since.

two things I can think of would be to pull the remnants out of the tube and run bailing wire down the length as a makeshift til you could replace with a proper part. that's what I would do if I was on a trip.

alternatively, and the quicker solution for you to get home is to disconnect the throttle all together, adjust your idle up to about 1500-1700, and just slip the clutch as needed to get you there. that's the 5 min solution.
__________________
Mark Kellgren
KM4BOR

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,495
Registry
I must say that roadway you're on is amazingly garbage-free. We don't get that up this way.
I'm sure you'll come up with something. Even solid wire will do for the short trip. Make a loop in the footwell end so you can stick your big toe thru it ( just kidding )
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:44 AM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Damn, that sux. You're must have just had it's time. that's normally never needs replacing item, but I had a new britpart one that came with my M&D 2.8 conversion kit, and in the first few months failed on me. replaced with original and haven't had an issue since. two things I can think of would be to pull the remnants out of the tube and run bailing wire down the length as a makeshift til you could replace with a proper part. that's what I would do if I was on a trip. alternatively, and the quicker solution for you to get home is to disconnect the throttle all together, adjust your idle up to about 1500-1700, and just slip the clutch as needed to get you there. that's the 5 min solution.
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I didn't limp it in with throttle open was because I still have to get through the line at the gate on post.

------ Follow up post added April 8th, 2014 07:46 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I must say that roadway you're on is amazingly garbage-free. We don't get that up this way.
Gotta love Army posts... Unit assigned police call areas!
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
you just justified the secondary hand throttle for me! thanks!
__________________
Mark Kellgren
KM4BOR

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
So I had a buddy come out to pick me up so I could make it to a hit time... But before we left, I scoured his car for something useable. Turns out, a wire speed jump rope makes a useable hand throttle when routed through the bulkhead.

It may come as no surprise that shifting with your left and actuating a hand throttle with your right (and steering in between) is a mental and physical exercise. Good thing I had leather gloves in the truck.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-467599428.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	92628
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:15 AM
CMSgt Bo's Avatar
CMSgt Bo
Status: Offline
Bo
1985 One Ten
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Banner Elk NC
Posts: 781
I can PM you two names over at Pope Field that can give you a 5' length of .041 steel safety wire you can run thru the old cable sleeve and loop around the pedal mount and the throttle assembly.
__________________
Proud member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
hillstrubl's Avatar
hillstrubl
Status: Offline
Danny
2005 Disco 3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philly, USA
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
So I had a buddy come out to pick me up so I could make it to a hit time... But before we left, I scoured his car for something useable. Turns out, a wire speed jump rope makes a useable hand throttle when routed through the bulkhead.

It may come as no surprise that shifting with your left and actuating a hand throttle with your right (and steering in between) is a mental and physical exercise. Good thing I had leather gloves in the truck.



Attachment 92628
nice. clever fix
__________________
~2005 Disco 3 "Moneypenny"
~2008 GTI TSI
~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:57 PM
ontheway's Avatar
ontheway
Status: Offline
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 1,156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
I can PM you two names over at Pope Field that can give you a 5' length of .041 steel safety wire you can run thru the old cable sleeve and loop around the pedal mount and the throttle assembly.
Thanks! Ended up figuring out something...

I actually ended up using bailing wire, routed through the original housing. Honestly it is as smooth as the original throttle cable. I may (out of necessity) end up using this to get to Uwharrie and back this weekend, as crazy as that sounds.

HIGHLY recommend keeping bailing wire in your trucks!!!
__________________
1986 Land Rover 110 SW
1995 Land Rover Disco (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
awesome. it was theory when I said it, now it's fact. I always have a roll. Learned that well from NLX in the jungle. They had to use bailing wire to put an exhaust back on, and told me to always have some onboard.
__________________
Mark Kellgren
KM4BOR

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:44 PM
cbfritz_03
Status: Offline
Carmen
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
awesome. it was theory when I said it, now it's fact. I always have a roll. Learned that well from NLX in the jungle. They had to use bailing wire to put an exhaust back on, and told me to always have some onboard.
That is a great tidbit of MacGyver ingenuity.. I'm gonna remember that
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
ranewman's Avatar
ranewman
Status: Offline
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Unionville, Va
Posts: 1,444
I have one I can bring this weekend if you would like. Let me know......
__________________
Rick
06 L322 Range Rover "The Black Pearl"
06 L322 Range Rover "2.0"
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken Throttle Return Spring JRW Defender Technical Discussions 1 March 18th, 2012 03:16 PM
broken throttle cable TravelerBT Misc. Chit-Chat 10 November 25th, 2008 10:30 PM
Throttle/gas pedal cable dfscott Defender Technical Discussions 3 October 15th, 2008 01:56 PM
D90 throttle pedal assembly and throttle cables Willard For Sale - Parts 2 October 14th, 2008 10:31 AM
Help installing choke/hand throttle cable KevinNY Defender Technical Discussions 12 February 12th, 2007 10:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Copyright