Good Deal on Import? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM
kuwona
GW Krauss
None

Good Deal on Import?

Hello All -

My first post. I've been reading up a lot lately, and thinking of changing over from an overgrown Jeep CJ8 lifestyle. It seems like a County Wagon would add significant convenience to getting my infant and toddler in and out (as opposed to a d90 or a d110 3-door). It also sounds like highway driving is problematic in the 2.5NA, and that bulkhead, outrigger and door rust are big issues. In my dreams I would have a big list of other specs to go for (LHD, Automatic, Soft-Top, Half-doors, Nice interior, rust free, badass rollcage, winch, those mud flaps with the chrome naked lady silhouettes...), but I top out around 10,000. It also looks like importing can help me stretch my dollar.

Is this a good deal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=120962167062 ?

Thanks,
GW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2012, 10:25 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwona View Post
Hello All -

My first post. I've been reading up a lot lately, and thinking of changing over from an overgrown Jeep CJ8 lifestyle. It seems like a County Wagon would add significant convenience to getting my infant and toddler in and out (as opposed to a d90 or a d110 3-door). It also sounds like highway driving is problematic in the 2.5NA, and that bulkhead, outrigger and door rust are big issues. In my dreams I would have a big list of other specs to go for (LHD, Automatic, Soft-Top, Half-doors, Nice interior, rust free, badass rollcage, winch, those mud flaps with the chrome naked lady silhouettes...), but I top out around 10,000. It also looks like importing can help me stretch my dollar.

Is this a good deal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...m=120962167062 ?

Thanks,
GW
First, welcome! While it is true that importing 'can' help you stretch your dollar, importing your own can also be more expensive if you buy a truck sight unseen that has a lot of hidden issues that aren't visible until you can see it for yourself stateside. Also, plan on 3500 for importing... So for that truck you listed you are already at 10K. That doesn't include titling, registration, etc.

I have the 2.5 NA and it does ok on the highway. It cruises comfortably on the highway at 65mph. Honestly, I'd like to have some more power because it really slows on the hills. If you can get a tdi get it!

I recommend saving some more money and getting a truck from someone like draaron at gb4x4 at a place where you can see and drive the truck. Plus, it will already be titled. You'll probably pay 20% more than you would on a similar truck imported - but you don't have the risk. Well worth it in my opinion.

Old August 18th, 2012, 04:54 PM
kuwona
GW Krauss
None

Thanks Ontheway. But it looks like there are also success stories from people who imported. I would hate to pass up that 20% you mentioned! Are there also disappointed importer stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

It seems hard to do things on a budget with defenders.
I was really playing with the import idea back when I was looking at getting one last year. The biggest difference seems to be the corrosion. You can get something for a decent price, but it will needs work. I still had a decent amount of work to fix sub par items on my NAS defender and the body was fine.

Now if you just want something that is decent and you are only going to replace stuff when it really needs it, then I think your options are wide open. You get what you pay for and it's a matter of understanding what you are expecting to get. I almost think its like motorcycles. You are going to get one and then figure stuff out about the rover and decide you want something else. But after you get one you will know what you really want. Any way you slice it there will be someone to buy yours, they have a good market.

Importing isnt bad, just get lots of pics and specifically of the rust prone areas. Most drivetrain stuff is pretty straight forward not a big deal to fix. Do your homework, ask the hard questions, that's about it.

I think my next defender is going to be a frame up one. I have had my hands on most things defender already, next time I might just be the one who installs them first off.
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
there seem to be some great 5 door RHD 3.5v8's available. MRM had one that was really clean and their prices include shipping usually to the east coast.
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Right. Sorry I should been specific that I wanted to stay LHD.
Going RHD helps keep the cost down.
Old August 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Great deals are a lottery ... The only way to be sure of the condition is to fly to the country of origin and inspect it. Also there have been recent cases of extra fees due at import ... For steam cleaning and the like. Your great deal may evaporate ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 18th, 2012, 07:34 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I think you will be hard pressed to find a LHD truck in that price bracket, atleast not one you would want, LHD comes at a little bit more of a premium because where most of the trucks come from is England.

From your "automatic, roll cage, LHD, $10k" want list it certainly sounds like you should get like an early to mid 2000's wrangler, fits your criteria to a T! Plus they are considered safe by US standards!
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
A slush box Landy outside NA will be rare as rocking horse shit ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

LHD trucks are getting very hard to find. Michael in Holland can get some of the LHD stuff but might be more expensive than you are willing to pay. The LHD dash parts are getting scarce. Every once in a while you will find a deal on one but not often. You can pay to get them still, but it is going to cost you. You do have to be realistic on a budget as these trucks are not cheap, but that depends upon what condition you are willing to afford. Rust buckets are easy to find but expensive to fix.
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:56 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You can save yourself money by importing VS buying one that is already here but you can also cost yourself a bunch of $$$ as well. You have to be careful and take your time to find a good one. Do not trust any of the UK ad's I am not sure if they have diffrent standards or just lie but they tend to say everything is tip top or cherry when it is really a rusty pile of shat.

It is hard to get pictures from UK sellers, I do not think many people in the UK own a camera and the ones that do can not take a picture worth a damn.

It took me almost a year to find my 90, it was a one owner with 80K miles, he took great care of it and it was in pretty good condition but even still had some rust in the front 2 doors and a few spots on the frame. I honestly think that my 90 is about the best condition you can expect from something that has lived in the UK for 25 years.

With that said I think you will have a hard time getting a good 110 5 door landed here in the states for the amount you are looking to spend. I would say almost 0 chance of getting a clean LHD 110 5 door landed in the US for what you are looking to spend.

I am sure someone out there has done it but that would be the exception
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Take a closer look at the bulkhead. It looks like there is some rust that is painted over on the left hand side of the bulkhead by the door hinge. You don't want to have to deal with switching a bulkhead. Foot wells and doors are one thing, the bulkhead is a whole different animal
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:15 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
He's right, bulkheads are a bitch!!!!
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
kuwona
GW Krauss
None

Thanks for all the input guys. Just to clarify, I was listing LHD among the things I expect NOT to get in my range. The things I AM hoping to get are:
1 - Good bulkhead, chassis and doors
2 - 5-door
3 - 200 tdi or better

But I feel like some say 2.5 NA is fine at 70 mph? If that's true maybe I can just focus on a reasonably rust free 5 door?
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwona View Post
But I feel like some say 2.5 NA is fine at 70 mph? If that's true maybe I can just focus on a reasonably rust free 5 door?
The 2.5 NA can be 'fine' for highways in that it can maintain (or stay close to) the speed limit. I have driven mine the 10 miles on the highway to work for the last week since I got it and cruise at 65mph. However, I have yet to get her to 70. I've tried. I'm not real worried about it because honestly I'm not so sure I want this death wagon going more than 65 even if it could

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import