Going Topless - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Going Topless

Well, it's 81 and blue skies here in America's Finest City.... So I decided to run without a top at all for a bit, pic attached.

But, the soft top drain channels and the corresponding brackets are ugly as all hell. Anyone know a way to either remove them or a top that covers just the cab area?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4293199768.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	67206  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
More pictures, for science. The problem is that it looks like the drain channels are also the top of the door frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3088454057.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	67207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3694896441.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	67208  

Name:	image-2305430218.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	67209  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Spray paint them mat black. $4 at OSH. I am iching to take the top off but... 65 in the afternoon but 35-40 overnight and damp. That San Fran fog just rolls in.
Interesting though -- you are the 2nd ST i have seen in as many days running with fixed door tops.
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:54 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Take them off and paint them - even Rustoleum - and buy yourself a bikini (with straps) top. Clay had a yellow one for sale for like $20.
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:56 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

You've got the Badger gutter kit. You can always get a Badger GK half cab top with or without a curtain that would attach to the B hoop.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Thanks George, that's good gouge to have. Well I hope Badger didn't make the original top that I took off, it didn't last more than 2 years in our fair San Diego weather.

I was looking at an Exmoor Trim bikini top, but trying to get a hold of anyone at Safari HP for the last week has tried my patience and I have pretty much given up on them.

I really wish they made a mesh version of the top like they make for the NAS trucks.

------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2013 11:05 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
Spray paint them mat black. $4 at OSH. I am iching to take the top off but... 65 in the afternoon but 35-40 overnight and damp. That San Fran fog just rolls in.
Interesting though -- you are the 2nd ST i have seen in as many days running with fixed door tops.
Yeah, but if I take them off to paint I have to mess up the weatherstripping, which to be honest worked extremely well while getting pissed on in Alaska. I might be able to mask them off.

The doors are the shit, I am really happy I have them. What would really be sweet would be pushbutton door rollup windows, but with a removable top frame like the ST doors.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think the ST drain channels and brackets are really, really cool looking. Very "industrial" and fits with the character of the Defender.

Worth painting! I would recommend body color if you have the choice.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:18 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well, success! I was able to take them off really not much trouble at all. I'm going to mask off the green paint and hit them with some rattle can and see what happens.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:19 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Do you have me blocked or something? Seems like you can never see what I'm telling you.

Your gutter kit is not from Badger as far as I can tell, as you should have footman loops attached to the inside of your gutter "fins". Also, while Badger's tops are nice, you do not have a NAS cage, and so a half cab top won't exactly fit as well as it would/does on our NAS trucks, as they utlize the snaps in our cage.

Just buy a bikini top with straps - it will work well-enough getting around your gutter kit, and you'll want the straps to secure the top to something on your top. Strapless bikini top would have to utilize the snaps on the B pillar of a NAS cage that you do not have, and so will not work.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Josh, no I see you fine... the problem is that I tried to get a hold of Safari HP to get a bikini top, they won't answer e-mails or phone calls.

Rovers North doesn't sell them, and I don't really know where else to check.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
You don't need new - especially if you want to make sure it works the way you want it to.

Just go to Advanced Search --> Type "bikini straps" --> and search in the Classifieds - For Sale-Parts section. There are tons that have probably gone unsold. CDeWan had that yellow one for sale I referenced above, and if he still has it I'm sure he'll let it go pretty cheap.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Josh, no I see you fine... the problem is that I tried to get a hold of Safari HP to get a bikini top, they won't answer e-mails or phone calls.

Rovers North doesn't sell them, and I don't really know where else to check.
We do have bikini tops, something like this? http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...A71725&type=0?

We also have one of the Exmoor Trim USA Mesh tops at the moment.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:42 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I bet you can find a boat canvas guy in San Diego and get a custom mesh one done up pretty inexpensive. Boat canvas guys usually have a pretty heavy duty nylon mesh material (used in conjunction with eisenglass) that may work for what you want (I am assuming just to cut down on the sun exposure and not rain - since San Diego very rarely sees any rain.
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:09 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
We do have bikini tops, something like this? http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...A71725&type=0?

We also have one of the Exmoor Trim USA Mesh tops at the moment.
Zack, when I try to open that link it doesn't work. Also this is a ROW truck with the cam-clamp bar if that matters.
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:16 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

So I hit the bikini top link provided above. Message back, URL does not exist. I look in the Defender pull down menu - where are tops listed? I try search "tops" nothing... Oh wait, my bad. I have a little green wheel spinning in the RN search box... 5 minutes and counting.
PM CDeWan. He is in San Diego too and is posting all sorts of stuff.
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:20 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

My apologies, it included my question mark in the URL. The correct address is http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...NA71725&type=0

Also, while the top is designed for NAS vehicles, we have had customers fit them to ROW trucks.

Old March 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
How does it connect to the front? I have the cam-clamp bar that needs the bead kind of fabric lip to latch on to.
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
So I hit the bikini top link provided above. Message back, URL does not exist. I look in the Defender pull down menu - where are tops listed? I try search "tops" nothing... Oh wait, my bad. I have a little green wheel spinning in the RN search box... 5 minutes and counting.
PM CDeWan. He is in San Diego too and is posting all sorts of stuff.
When I search "tops" on our site, the third link down is "Canvas Tops" and brings up the Exmoor page of tops available, are you not seeing that load?

Old March 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
When I search "tops" on our site, the third link down is "Canvas Tops" and brings up the Exmoor page of tops available, are you not seeing that load?
The search probably puked on itself, like it does to me a lot as well. Add to the fact that the new "improved" web site hides the real LR part numbers means it is now only slightly better than AB's site.
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
How does it connect to the front? I have the cam-clamp bar that needs the bead kind of fabric lip to latch on to.
The top connects with the NAS style rigid material that slides into the header rail slot. However, it is possible to slide the plastic strip into the same location the ROW style tops slide into and are clamped down.

------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2013 03:30 PM ------

Quote:
The search probably puked on itself, like it does to me a lot as well. Add to the fact that the new "improved" web site hides the real LR part numbers means it is now only slightly better than AB's site.

There was no change in hiding LR part numbers, we've always showed the LR part number unless they are coded for our aftermarket alternatives. You can always see the LR part number in the URL of the page you are on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions