going to 3" or 4" exhaust - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 15th, 2006, 06:46 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Tdi mufflers

Yes, the cat is restrictive. I'd love not to have it but it is on there so when yearly inspection time comes the guy can look under the truck and see that all the "legal" smog stuff is in place. They get real pissy if you start taking cats off. Yes, I know it never came with a diesel, etc etc, but this set up with the cat and a small non-restrictive silencer gets the truck a state inspection sticker and it is a driver so it needs some stuff on it to look "stock".

I did tests when we were having trouble and put a non-cat down pipe on it and it didn't change a thing.

Just FYI, the stock factory muffler (Tdi NOT V8) with or without the cat works just fine and keeps everything cool as long as you don't jack up the boost too much.

The truck had a Phase II Allard and an upgraded turbo and other trucks, but the only thing I felt gave it seat of the pants gains was the intercooler and a free exhaust. The turbo was cool and did some, but not as much as I hoped. Free up the exhaust and go with a larger intercooler and it will be all set.

Sticking on a 2.8PS varible trubo sounds fun, but I haven't tried that myself yet.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:54 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool. Thanks for the info Mike. I always loved ECR-4 I will prob go with the http://www.tunedproducts.com/DNA/truck.html Then I might do a little tweaking and an intercooler. Maybe an air to water setup.. Who makes them Art?
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Try DynaTech PowerCat stainless cats. They are made from a honeycomb of 1/8' to 1/4" stainless tubes that are in-line with the exhaust flow. The stainless tubes superheat and burn up excess hydrocarbons. Beats the hell out of ceramic, with no sulfuric acid by product. They are not approved in California for some strange reason, but I have had them installed for a year and pass smog with no issues. Seem to be totally non-restrictive. Try www.jegs.com as a source.

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Randy,

For the water/air setup you're going to have to source "generic" parts to make the system. For the IC I prefer the PWR models from Australia. They're tube style and can fit vertically , connecting to the tubes really efficiently. I've contacted them for a customer reference fitted to a Tdi and they only offered one which didn't pan out.

Looking over the flow requirement their 6-in long tube (core length) seems the way to go although they suggested the 10-in one. I feel that suggestion was more salesmanship than relevant information-related. The 6-in job can be had for about $300-$350 here.

I also looked into the Chinese ones on Ebay like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8066141938

Hey, for $125 it's worth taking a shot. A bit bulkier than the PWR but still manageable.

Besides the IC, a small radiator and pull fan (placed where the stock IC is), a pump and some tubing and you're good to go.

Bell also makes water/air custom jobs but they're not gonna come near this price. I would go with them for the custom air/air IC as a custom fit is required.

I don't see any flow rates fo the DNA stuff. I think you should ask for them before you commit.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

This is the best thread on this subject so far. I would still really like to know how hot is too hot for EGT's. I am wondering why I didn't get more of a benefit on the cooling side with the 3in straight pipe. The H.P. was a big improvement, at least felt like it. I can hit 1050 in seconds up a hill if I am flooring it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

A buddy with a Ford said Ford has a limiter built into the ECU at 1250. Also read that 1350 is BAD. Now, these are not specific to the Tdi but 1250 seems reasonable to me.

David, since you're getting real good recovery that suggests the exhaust is working fine. Maybe your IC isn't pumping in cool enough air?

How about trying a 4-in pipe, not entirely to the back, and see if that helps. That is if you're up to being a guinea pig.

One thing I will say, since I will be doing one mod at a time from stock I will keep track of performance changes.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
A buddy with a Ford said Ford has a limiter built into the ECU at 1250. Also read that 1350 is BAD. Now, these are not specific to the Tdi but 1250 seems reasonable to me.

David, since you're getting real good recovery that suggests the exhaust is working fine. Maybe your IC isn't pumping in cool enough air?

How about trying a 4-in pipe, not entirely to the back, and see if that helps. That is if you're up to being a guinea pig.

One thing I will say, since I will be doing one mod at a time from stock I will keep track of performance changes.
Hey,

I know it can't be the exaust, straight 3in with no muffler and one mandrel 90 degree bend is about as free flowing as you can get. It could be my cheesy TwistedPerformance intercooler. If 1250 is max acceptable temp, thats about as hot as I can get the engine.

I can take a look in the light and see if a 4in pipe will fit. The 3in is already pretty tight. Besides, I still think the limiting factor on the exaust is the headers. I will be really interested in your intercooler feedback, artm. This is the weakest link in my system, it would be nice to get something better.

Edit: I went and took a look, the exaust flange on the bottom of the headers is something around 2in or so in diameter. Anything larger than 3in past that is just overkill. I might just have to be happy with what I have. It's not that big a deal anymore with the truck not driven on the road. I just like not having to worry about anything.

Edit 2: Thank you very much for finding that temp info for me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

exhaust

Sorry, forgot to respond to the EGT question.
Measured before the turbo I like to stay as low as possible with anything over 1200 considered being "hot". get into the 1300 range and you are going to mess something up or seriously shorten the life of parts.
If you didn't mess with the boost and fueling you won't have to worry about EGTs, the factory Tdi settings are nice and mild and won't let you screw stuff up. Its only when you start mucking about for more grunt that you need to worry about EGTs.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM
sajidd
Sajid Dadabhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Yes, I have heard that Twisted is crap. No reason really to go outside the US for an IC, except for better price (i.e. China).

Yes, I know thin and full coverage is better. Can't get much thinner than 2-in. Looked into Allard and was going to copy their design with a Bell custom job. They (Allard) say about 2-in should fit in an AC setup - not their standard 3-in.

Then I got sidetracked with water/air types - easier to fit and about the same price. Plus you get cooled air at low speeds. No need for a custom IC, as everything's stock: IC, radiator, fan and pump.

As for the headers, again, a luxury at this point. I'm sure the tweaks will be fine - until the need for the auto gets extreme and then it's out with the Tdi!
ARTM, BUCKON..

Did you guys ever get the intercooler made by Bell? I need a larger intercooler for my 300TDI, and am thinking of getting one made by bell, but I dont have the exact specs, and also not sure how mucht it will cost. I dont want to spend a fortune.

Regards
Sajidd
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

What's a fortune?

I ended up going with a water/air system: a PWR barrel IC, a small cooler, fan and a pump. The cooler fits in the space of the original IC. The fan is a push type, working with the stock engine fan and shroud (which also helps the stock IC) gets you real good flow. The pump is a Ford F150 IC pump (Bosch). Can run the pump continuously but will probably work off some temp sensor.

Have most of the parts but haven't installed them yet.

I decided against a custom IC as I already have AC and want something made of off the shelf parts. Also, I should get better performance when the truck's moving slowly with a water/air system - and better performance in general because of the greater efficiency.

All in all, about $400. Close to the cost of a custom Bell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust