GM gen III - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:07 PM
CDeWan
Status: Offline
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,493
just put 2500+ miles on this set up 5.3 Gen III, 4 speed auto and BW T-case (out of a Quadro-trac set up circa late 70s Grand Cherokee) No issues with engine and tranny, just a leaky t-case which I will get after.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:29 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
just put 2500+ miles on this set up 5.3 Gen III, 4 speed auto and BW T-case (out of a Quadro-trac set up circa late 70s Grand Cherokee) No issues with engine and tranny, just a leaky t-case which I will get after.
What kind of mileage did you get towing?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:34 AM
CDeWan
Status: Offline
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,493
8-10 mpg's.
Front towing D-90 has a rovers north rack filled with bikes, boxes etc - creating drag. 33 x 12 tires 3 inch lift, 4:11 gears. No salt flat racer by any means

Towed 90's front axle was on a tow dolly adding weight and also has a rack on it. No items were stowed in the towed vehicle and I kept only a few gallons of gas in the tank to minimize ass wobble.

I did down shift liberally which on any grad would not only hold speed but accelerate the vehicle.

I would say average speed was around 60mph. The composition of the highway (asphalt vs. concrete) and wind direction limited my speed due to the towed vehicle getting ass happy and wobbling from side to side. Fixed with a quick step on the brake and followed by an acceleration to a speed that would not induce ass wobble.

Engine started with no problem ever - no check engine lights, idle when warm was around 500rpm. Just nice and quite.

I am going to get a new accelerator cable as mine has probably been on the truck since new and is stretched. I sometimes did run into a problem with a downshift as the stoppers on the accelerated cable would not allow the TPS to read the correct % to kick down 2 gears for hill climbing. Nick this is what we worked on that one night to adjust the kickdown parameters. I think a new cable will provide more flexibility in adjustment.

I will keep the post updated on mileage once I start using the truck as a dd and unload everything.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2014 10:35 AM ------

Nick,
The only other question that I would have is that if I go back to an LT 230 from a BW what are your recommendations for speedometer functioning? Is there a box that will convert the cable speed out of the LT230 to a digital signal to the VDO speedo?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
8-10 mpg's.
Front towing D-90 has a rovers north rack filled with bikes, boxes etc - creating drag. 33 x 12 tires 3 inch lift, 4:11 gears. No salt flat racer by any means

Towed 90's front axle was on a tow dolly adding weight and also has a rack on it. No items were stowed in the towed vehicle and I kept only a few gallons of gas in the tank to minimize ass wobble.

I did down shift liberally which on any grad would not only hold speed but accelerate the vehicle.

I would say average speed was around 60mph. The composition of the highway (asphalt vs. concrete) and wind direction limited my speed due to the towed vehicle getting ass happy and wobbling from side to side. Fixed with a quick step on the brake and followed by an acceleration to a speed that would not induce ass wobble.

Engine started with no problem ever - no check engine lights, idle when warm was around 500rpm. Just nice and quite.

I am going to get a new accelerator cable as mine has probably been on the truck since new and is stretched. I sometimes did run into a problem with a downshift as the stoppers on the accelerated cable would not allow the TPS to read the correct % to kick down 2 gears for hill climbing. Nick this is what we worked on that one night to adjust the kickdown parameters. I think a new cable will provide more flexibility in adjustment.

I will keep the post updated on mileage once I start using the truck as a dd and unload everything.

------ Follow up post added April 16th, 2014 10:35 AM ------

Nick,
The only other question that I would have is that if I go back to an LT 230 from a BW what are your recommendations for speedometer functioning? Is there a box that will convert the cable speed out of the LT230 to a digital signal to the VDO speedo?
You would install the GEMS/Bosch VSS (YBE100540) onto the LT230 and wire into your VDO speedo using the existing VSS wiring.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,242
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
8-10 mpg's.
The only other question that I would have is that if I go back to an LT 230 from a BW what are your recommendations for speedometer functioning? Is there a box that will convert the cable speed out of the LT230 to a digital signal to the VDO speedo?
There are stock Land Rover speed transducers that connect directly to the LT230. Used in Disco 1s and TD5 Defenders.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:33 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Test fit 4L60E

Well, it doesn't fit. The pictures show my adapter with the trans case rotated 3 degrees.
This will take some work. A new adapter and shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	93249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	93250  

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old April 18th, 2014, 12:28 AM
pendy's Avatar
pendy
Status: Offline
jim pendleton
89'd90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: andover, ks usa
Posts: 2,341
If it were a merc diesel you would just cut the corner off the pan. Kidding.
I think the marks adapter version for the 400 gm transmission gets more length then what I am seeing there but hard to tell from pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd disc 148.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	93271  
__________________
legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,408
So really might as well just buy the Marks 4L80E/LT230 adaptor then... ?
__________________
D100 5.3 LM7 Gen III powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM
pendy's Avatar
pendy
Status: Offline
jim pendleton
89'd90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: andover, ks usa
Posts: 2,341
That might be the case for the Gen III stuff
__________________
legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
So really might as well just buy the Marks 4L80E/LT230 adaptor then... ?
Yes, just be aware that the 4L80e is much longer and with that adapter it will put the t-case back 5+ inches.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Yes, just be aware that the 4L80e is much longer and with that adapter it will put the t-case back 5+ inches.

Umm..... guess I'll be waiting a couple of yrs till the gen 4's start to find their way into the junk yards then...


Just snagged this off GP's FB page..... looks interesting... finally had to switch from LR to GM for decent power / $$ ratio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GP truck.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	93295   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS-1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	93296  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LS-2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	93297  
__________________
D100 5.3 LM7 Gen III powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:21 PM
pendy's Avatar
pendy
Status: Offline
jim pendleton
89'd90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: andover, ks usa
Posts: 2,341
But when you look at the Marks adapter it keeps the diff lock shifter in the same place and moves the transfer case back. Of course the engine will have to move forward some as well. It is a more difficult conversion then the Gen IV drop in style you have worked out. But the Gen III conversion with this Marks adapter should be pretty straightforward. In fact it has been done many times around the world would be my guess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Yes, just be aware that the 4L80e is much longer and with that adapter it will put the t-case back 5+ inches.
__________________
legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:47 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Classic BW

Looks like the Classic Borg Warner will fit with some minor trimming.

...or I could move it back 1/2"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gen3-bw.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	93298  
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Looks like the Classic Borg Warner will fit with some minor trimming.

...or I could move it back 1/2"
Where would that put it mount wise without any additional spacer assuming the transfer box stopped in the normal location ?

Was just watching first couple of episodes again of Engine Power again, where they built a cheap junkyard 4.8....

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...ls-tech-part-1

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...ls-tech-part-2

Would the BW transfer box stand up to ~390bhp at the flywheel ? If so... seems a nice budget orientated way to go rather than a 3.9/4.6 LR build.... thoughts ??
__________________
D100 5.3 LM7 Gen III powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:42 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Where would that put it mount wise without any additional spacer assuming the transfer box stopped in the normal location ?

Was just watching first couple of episodes again of Engine Power again, where they built a cheap junkyard 4.8....

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...ls-tech-part-1

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode...ls-tech-part-2

Would the BW transfer box stand up to ~390bhp at the flywheel ? If so... seems a nice budget orientated way to go rather than a 3.9/4.6 LR build.... thoughts ??
This would locate the BW in the stock location and put the engine in the same location as my Gen IV build. You could use all the brackets from the Gen IV build. Same Y-pipe,... Still needs a different adapter shaft. 4L60e is 27 spline, 6L80e & NV4500 are 32 spline.

I would stay away from the 4.8L. Unless you plan to build one. The 5.3L Gen3 is 295HP, the Gen4 is 320HP stock. That BW should hold up to these figures. I definitely wouldn't try pushing 400HP through it though.

I have a 2002 5.3L Gen3 sitting in my shop looking for a project. New intake, new injectors, new Painless harness, ECU... Was thinking about a NV4500 behind it. I need to test fit it anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:53 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,408
Thanks Mark....

Snagged a few more pic's from GP's FB page.... guess if you have deep pockets, Quaife to the rescue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gbox-1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	93380   Click image for larger version

Name:	gbox-2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	93381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	gbox-3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	93382  
__________________
D100 5.3 LM7 Gen III powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:10 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,242
Registry
That is the Quaife 6 speed manual box, I believe. Kind of a different topic?? Only 8950

http://quaife.co.uk/news/high-streng...r-transmission
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:25 PM
nmarkiw's Avatar
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
That is the Quaife 6 speed manual box, I believe. Kind of a different topic?? Only 8950

http://quaife.co.uk/news/high-streng...r-transmission
Nice. Too rich for my blood. Makes the NV4500 sound more attractive.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:26 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
That is the Quaife 6 speed manual box, I believe. Kind of a different topic?? Only 8950

http://quaife.co.uk/news/high-streng...r-transmission

I guess so... but deff need deep pockets !
__________________
D100 5.3 LM7 Gen III powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,242
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Nice. Too rich for my blood. Makes the NV4500 sound more attractive.
Certainly. And better gear ratios for the normal off roader, IMO.

http://www.high-impact.net/nv4500.htm
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone 8GB 2nd Gen For Sale Rugbier The Flea Market 28 December 16th, 2009 09:51 PM
FS: 1st gen 8gig iPod Touch mpodgorski The Flea Market 7 December 16th, 2009 07:03 PM
Misc parts (D1 and gen purpose) Ray_G For Sale - Parts 5 October 5th, 2008 09:11 AM
FS: 30g iPod Video & 8g iPhone 1st Gen mpodgorski The Flea Market 3 August 7th, 2008 08:37 AM
New here. A gen question re: Rovers Emerson00 Misc. Chit-Chat 26 December 20th, 2006 11:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Copyright