Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
as much as i love the mystique of the 215 a 5.3 or 6.0 would be really really nice. im not a fan of the slushbox, the LT230 is just about perfect
The 4L60/ 80E is a NICE transmission. They are very tough and last a long time. Plus, if wired correctly, they work very, very well with the motors. The other plus with these GM drivetrains is that they are cheap and will run on the basest of gasoline. No need for anything more than cheap regular.

OP, did you mean that the length of the trans/ transfer case meant no change in driveshaft length? The GM trans is a wide beast so did it fit inside the space meant for the original trans?

#10 ·
In that picture it looks like there is a custom made adapter to go from the GM tranny to the LT230. Tell us more about that. I find this subject interesting. I always wanted to take a ROW with a 2.5 petrol (or something equally wimpy) and do something like this. I'd hate to start chopping up a NAS.

#12 ·
[

OP, did you mean that the length of the trans/ transfer case meant no change in driveshaft length? The GM trans is a wide beast so did it fit inside the space meant for the original trans?[/QUOTE]

with the six speed that the forum member is using as it is shorter than the older 4 speeds yes NO NEED to move your LT230 or change driveshafts that is one of the beauties of the design.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:34 PM ------

Yes he had an adapter made that houses an intermediate shaft to go from the 6 speed to the LT 230.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:35 PM ------

Thats if you keep all that is needed to make that system function, which is something most do not do. It is not easy.

Yep he is going to keep all the system function the way GM designed it. The guy is a meticulous and a wiz when it comes to this stuff.

#17 ·
They do exist!

Yes, Clay jumped the gun. A bit.

Ok, here we go. I have developed a bolt-in solution for the GM Gen IV LS engine and 6L80E transmission that couples to the LT230. The LT230 is exactly in the stock position. I think I will just post a few pictures and let it sink in. I made a run of five adapters to start.

Attachments

#2,909 ·
They do exist!

Yes, Clay jumped the gun. A bit.

Ok, here we go. I have developed a bolt-in solution for the GM Gen IV LS engine and 6L80E transmission that couples to the LT230. The LT230 is exactly in the stock position. I think I will just post a few pictures and let it sink in. I made a run of five adapters to start.
hi there! do you have any of this adapter on stock?

#21 · (Edited)
Can the stock auto console/LT230 shifter be utilized?

Looks like I see a AC compressor..does that interface with the stock setup in the cab or no?

What type of radiator is used?

So the kit has a LT230 adaptor and engine mounts, weld in I assume, anything else? Perhaps a template for the mounts?

This is so much awesome!

#28 ·
The Gen IV truck engines fit. LMG, LC9, LY5, LY6, L92, LSA For the defender, the truck intake clears the hood when you turn it 180 degress. The low car intake fits the Discovery. Yes, this fits Discovery 1 and Classics too.

No mods to the steering box. I will be providing a new aluminum radiator.

There are about 20 configuration changes to two computers. (Can be done with HP Tuners) The ECU and the TCU which is inside the transmission.

Attachments

#30 ·
Are you concerned with the HP the Ls1 produces and the stock axles? Do you have a transmission cross member, as well? This is exactly what I was looking for. Marks 4x4 and Advanced Adapters makes a few nice adapters, but I haven't seen one in this configuration yet. Very nice work. Depending on cost, you can add me to the list.

#32 ·
I got mine! :finger:finger:finger

But seriously, before everyone starts throwing out credit card numbers, I was lucky enough to be a beta tester. I know Nick wants to put together a very complete kit so I believe he is still working out some details before mass production.

I'm going to start a build thread soon, but here are some quick details of my project. I'm dropping it in a '84 110. The engine and trans are out of a 2011 suburban, so it's a 5.3 aluminum block LC9 with the 6l80e.

Attachments

#34 ·
I got mine! :finger:finger:finger But seriously, before everyone starts throwing out credit card numbers, I was lucky enough to be a beta tester. I know Nick wants to put together a very complete kit so I believe he is still working out some details before mass production. I'm going to start a build thread soon, but here are some quick details of my project. I'm dropping it in a '84 110. The engine and trans are out of a 2011 suburban, so it's a 5.3 aluminum block LC9 with the 6l80e.
How does the weight compare from the Rover engine to the LC9?

This is probably the best combo of power and cost for 90s....315 HP or so? Some HD axles and RPs and you should be good

Though Id be tempted to put in a LSA into a 110/130. :)

#38 ·
To me the cost to performance to reliability, this swap was a no brainer compared to all the other options. I picked up the motor, trans, computer, and all the engine accessories for less the cost of a remanufactured 4.6 long block, and the motor had less than 8K miles on it. Yes, I will probably spend more in the long run swapping a bunch of stuff that I would not need to do if I stuck a rover engine back in there, but it was all stuff that was probably going to fail soon anyways. I’m looking at this project as a mechanical and electrical fresh start. It’s getting a custom chassis harness with wires that have the circuit label printed on them and all the plumbing is going to braided hose.

Good Bye Lucas!!!

#39 ·
To me the cost to performance to reliability, this swap was a no brainer compared to all the other options. I picked up the motor, trans, computer, and all the engine accessories for less the cost of a remanufactured 4.6 long block, and the motor had less than 8K miles on it. Yes, I will probably spend more in the long run swapping a bunch of stuff that I would not need to do if I stuck a rover engine back in there, but it was all stuff that was probably going to fail soon anyways. I’m looking at this project as a mechanical and electrical fresh start. It’s getting a custom chassis harness with wires that have the circuit label printed on them and all the plumbing is going to braided hose.

Good Bye Lucas!!!

Looking forward to the buld thread.