GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #141  
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:32 PM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,432
Registry
Nice
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #142  
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:38 AM
3rovers's Avatar
3rovers
Status: Offline
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 123
Good to see progress from where it was last weekend. Congrats.
__________________
Dennis Yard
Land Rover Club of San Diego
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #143  
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Neil McCauley's Avatar
Neil McCauley
Status: Offline
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,366
No water either!
__________________
A guy told me one time "don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat from around the corner"

Robert Deniro
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #144  
Old February 16th, 2014, 09:55 AM
CDeWan
Status: Offline
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,449
Gen IV running

Sorry guys I should have signed in under my account when I posted the video of Nick's 90 running. Hopefully this didn't come across as gratuituos self promotion. I happened to be over a Nick's yesterday working on a project. That is my voice (which sounds like a 12 year old's) on the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Gen IV running. Nice - no exhaust other than the headers hooked up. If you listen toward the end of the video you can hear the engine to into 4 cylinder mode i.e. listen for the change in the exhaust tone. No accessories belt on the front.
------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2014 10:57 AM ------

Great observation on the video, I had my head up my keester when I took the video as why show the front pulleys when there was not belt .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
No water either!
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:00 AM
CDeWan
Status: Offline
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,449
O.. and the project I was working on at Nicks

Just a little engine swap. I can do more of a write up with pictures on it. This is Nick's previous LS Gen 3 mated to a 4 speed and BW T case that will be going into the Banana mobile. We took the 3.9/R380/LT230 out in one shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.9 extraction.png
Views:	439
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	89768   Click image for larger version

Name:	heart gone.png
Views:	427
Size:	459.4 KB
ID:	89769  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new heart.png
Views:	439
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	89770   Click image for larger version

Name:	new heart1.png
Views:	579
Size:	564.6 KB
ID:	89771  

Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old February 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM
mattwhite
Status: Offline
Matt White
94 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 110
I still have a long way to go but I had a very satisfying day today!

I guess some poor planning on my part means I will be in Vietnam the week of the rally. But I'm looking forward to some CO wheeling this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	89810  
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:08 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,603
Bits arrived today and they look great.
Looking forward to putting the 110 together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7749.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	89920  
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Bits arrived today and they look great.
Looking forward to putting the 110 together.
Please tell me this thing isn't going to have huge wheels on it and an absurd two tone paint job. There still needs to be some purists out there.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:51 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Please tell me this thing isn't going to have huge wheels on it and an absurd two tone paint job. There still needs to be some purists out there.
It will be in a NAS 110.
Well... it will not be white (it will be Willow Green), but it will have 16" rims and be all one color if that helps.

To help Nick we are going to post detail images, part numbers of what we use and show it in all phases. The hope is that it will help Nick sell set ups so people can do it themselves.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old February 18th, 2014, 12:58 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
It will be in a NAS 110.
Well... it will not be white (it will be Willow Green), but it will have 16" rims and be all one color if that helps.

To help Nick we are going to post detail images, part numbers of what we use and show it in all phases. The hope is that it will help Nick sell set ups so people can do it themselves.
It does. I can't get behind these conversions but at least you aren't bastardizing the looks.
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:16 PM
surf110's Avatar
surf110
Status: Offline
Ze
130 Project
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 540
Nice Nick!


Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
Gen IV running. Nice - no exhaust other than the headers hooked up. If you listen toward the end of the video you can hear the engine to into 4 cylinder mode i.e. listen for the change in the exhaust tone. No accessories belt on the front.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:18 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It does. I can't get behind these conversions but at least you aren't bastardizing the looks.
I tend to agree, but as much as I love Rover stuff it is hard to argue with the package. For this project we just bought a brand new (complete) LS3 and a brand new 6L80E with all the wiring, the ECUs, a custom set up in the gearbox ECU so that it works the way we want it, etc. etc. and all in we are under $13K shipped to our loading dock.
That may sound like a lot (considering you could junk yard a lot of that for cheap), but try putting together a brand new performance 4.6 Rover V8, adding in the cost of a new ZF auto and all new ancillaries and it is way more than that and you are going to be at about 275hp vs. over 400hp. It isn't for everyone, but IMO it has a place in the market.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM
surf110's Avatar
surf110
Status: Offline
Ze
130 Project
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SD, CA
Posts: 540
Barry. You need to drive one. You'll get behind it once you drive one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It does. I can't get behind these conversions but at least you aren't bastardizing the looks.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Just a little engine swap. I can do more of a write up with pictures on it. This is Nick's previous LS Gen 3 mated to a 4 speed and BW T case that will be going into the Banana mobile. We took the 3.9/R380/LT230 out in one shot.
So with that setup and an LT230 (as I want to keep my 1.667:1 ratio) instead of the BW.... and the transfer case on it's standard mounts, how much further forward is the engine... ie, is there room for the rad with electric fans up front ?

Easier for me to find the older gen 3 & 4 speed here than the newer gen 4 setup.... and for a 90% trail truck I'm not too bothered about economy on the highway...
__________________
D100 5.3 LS powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,345
Registry
There are pictures in the thread of the engine in a Defender. It looks no more forward than a Rover V8. Why is god's green earth would you want 1.6 high range with this amount of power?
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Offline
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
I tend to agree, but as much as I love Rover stuff it is hard to argue with the package. For this project we just bought a brand new (complete) LS3 and a brand new 6L80E with all the wiring, the ECUs, a custom set up in the gearbox ECU so that it works the way we want it, etc. etc. and all in we are under $13K shipped to our loading dock.
That may sound like a lot (considering you could junk yard a lot of that for cheap), but try putting together a brand new performance 4.6 Rover V8, adding in the cost of a new ZF auto and all new ancillaries and it is way more than that and you are going to be at about 275hp vs. over 400hp. It isn't for everyone, but IMO it has a place in the market.
I'm sure it drives well. Will it have a standard console or does the auto not line up?
__________________
Quote:
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:54 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 327
I used a 1.003:1 LT230 in this conversion.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old February 18th, 2014, 02:04 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
So with that setup and an LT230 (as I want to keep my 1.667:1 ratio) instead of the BW.... and the transfer case on it's standard mounts, how much further forward is the engine... ie, is there room for the rad with electric fans up front ?



Easier for me to find the older gen 3 & 4 speed here than the newer gen 4 setup.... and for a 90% trail truck I'm not too bothered about economy on the highway...

Gen 3/4L60e won't fit with LT230. Shifter is cable operated. So placement is not an issue. Gen 3, mechanical fan. Gen 4,electric fans.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Nomar's Avatar
Nomar
Status: Offline
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central,Virginia
Posts: 3,931
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
It does. I can't get behind these conversions but at least you aren't bastardizing the looks.
If you want to keep your Rover "pure" then pull that Buick V8 out of it and put a 2.25 lump back in...

Nick is just doing what the beancounters at LR should have done in the early 90's.



.
__________________


Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old February 18th, 2014, 03:07 PM
SMac's Avatar
SMac
Status: Offline
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
It will be in a NAS 110. Well... it will not be white (it will be Willow Green), but it will have 16" rims and be all one color if that helps. To help Nick we are going to post detail images, part numbers of what we use and show it in all phases. The hope is that it will help Nick sell set ups so people can do it themselves.
Awesome, thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
110 rear disk brake conversion c2sox Defender Technical Discussions 14 September 23rd, 2016 06:23 PM
Diesel Conversion Kits and Shops ChicagoDon Misc. Chit-Chat 25 July 31st, 2012 12:58 PM
detroit diffs, shafts, AEU2522 conversion SeaRover For Sale - Parts 5 February 27th, 2006 09:34 AM
RHD to LHD conversion Reefminis Defender Technical Discussions 5 May 21st, 2005 05:23 PM
Headlamp conversion rustydefender Defender Technical Discussions 21 February 21st, 2005 09:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Copyright