GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 79 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1561  
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:52 AM
stancey's Avatar
stancey
Status: Offline
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: austin, texas
Posts: 233
I'm mounting nicks adapter to the transfer case and I don't have the original bolts. M8 by 30 mm grade 8 (which is what nick includes in the kit to mount adapter to tranny) seem to work on 4 of the 6 needed bolts, but 2 of them go internal in the transfer case and I can't tell if I need something longer. The parts book lists 3-4 different bolts for the mounting and I'm trying to source these locally. Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #1562  
Old October 4th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,063
Registry
Just measure what you need. Make sure that the ones that go into the case do not extend past the housing as they will hit the gears, especially the upper one. Use thread sealant. Pretty sure they are all M10, not M8.

Stock bolt sizes are usually in the manual. If not, the size can be decoded from the part number.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #1563  
Old October 5th, 2016, 08:02 PM
stancey's Avatar
stancey
Status: Offline
steven stancey
1988 LHD Defender 110 V8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: austin, texas
Posts: 233
Got them, thanks...
Reply With Quote
  #1564  
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Landy_Andy's Avatar
Landy_Andy
Status: Offline
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Revelstoke, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,300
Nick, what wiring configuration did you use for the MSD tach module to VDO tach input ?
__________________
D100 5.3 LS powered truggy under construction....
Reply With Quote
  #1565  
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:31 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Nick, what wiring configuration did you use for the MSD tach module to VDO tach input ?
Use the voltage trigger scheme. White to the ECM, violet to the tach.
Configure the ECM for 15 pulses high, 15 pulses low. Attach a 680 ohm pull-up resistor between white and red.
Reply With Quote
  #1566  
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:45 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,550
Registry
Is there an official For Sale thread for the LS conversion kit?
__________________
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #1567  
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:06 PM
spyder625
Status: Offline
90
94/D90
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 50
Registry
Part List

it would be great if we can get an entire parts list as well for easy referencing... thanks mike
Reply With Quote
  #1568  
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:25 AM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,565
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Is there an official For Sale thread for the LS conversion kit?
Step away from the keyboard Pedro!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Reply With Quote
  #1569  
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:10 PM
Mtanzania
Status: Offline
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 328
Nick,

Has there been any further development of a kit for a D2?
__________________
94 D1 300tdi - Sold
93 LWB-Isuzu diesel 5 speed
Reply With Quote
  #1570  
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:19 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtanzania View Post
Nick,

Has there been any further development of a kit for a D2?


No. life is getting in the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1571  
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:49 PM
The Dro
Status: Offline
Dro
1988 Ninety
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Annandale, VA
Posts: 6,550
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Step away from the keyboard Pedro!
LOL
__________________
Quote:
Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #1572  
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Mtanzania
Status: Offline
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarkiw View Post
No. life is getting in the way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally understand!

Thanks for getting back with me.
__________________
94 D1 300tdi - Sold
93 LWB-Isuzu diesel 5 speed
Reply With Quote
  #1573  
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Buddy Lee
Status: Offline
Tobias
TBD
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central, NC
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Is there an official For Sale thread for the LS conversion kit?
I was wondering the same thing. I've had really bad luck with Rover donor engines the last year or so. If this last one turns out to be a dud too. I'm going to scrap Rover engines and start working on a swap like this.

It would be nice to have a summary page that list what is currently available, pricing and what else is needed (other than the engine/trans obviously). I have the attention span of a nat and reading through 1,500 post just won't happen.
Reply With Quote
  #1574  
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:46 AM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Offline
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 4,776
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I've had really bad luck with Rover donor engines the last year or so. If this last one turns out to be a dud too. I'm going to scrap Rover engines and start working on a swap like this.

It would be nice to have a summary page that list what is currently available, pricing and what else is needed (other than the engine/trans obviously). I have the attention span of a nat and reading through 1,500 post just won't happen.
you need to PM Nick..
Reply With Quote
  #1575  
Old October 30th, 2016, 10:47 AM
Brewie212's Avatar
Brewie212
Status: Offline
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 2,932
Thank you nick for all your help! Finally getting to deliver the truck to its new owner today... Cross your fingers!!! With nicks help we where able to ad paddle shifters and cruise control, the Dakota digital is well worth the $$$, allowing you to view all the major vitals and is super easy to install(if you know what your doing) thanks again the truck came out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-460453294.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	161084  
__________________
"Someone once told me not to bite off more than I can chew, I told them I'd rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #1576  
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:16 PM
skitzy's Avatar
skitzy
Status: Online
Nick
91 D90 2.5NA doing LS Gen IV Thing
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 52
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Thank you nick for all your help! Finally getting to deliver the truck to its new owner today... Cross your fingers!!! With nicks help we where able to ad paddle shifters and cruise control, the Dakota digital is well worth the $$$, allowing you to view all the major vitals and is super easy to install(if you know what your doing) thanks again the truck came out great.


Nice looking truck
Congratulations


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1577  
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:18 PM
defender1844
Status: Offline
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 480
can you post pictures of the cruise and paddle shifter setup?

I have the Dakota gauges wired with canbus and a momo wheel. 2 questions:

1) how are you wiring the sensors to the dakota? Canbus or direct?
2) how are you wiring the cruise and paddle shifters? The reason I ask is that i tried to connect a PLX devices bluetooth module via a y-adapter so I had 2 OBD connectors going into my ECU. Unfortunately that didn't work. Just wondering if the body control module is a pass through so you can use the can bus input to the dakota?

------ Follow up post added October 30th, 2016 08:18 PM ------

3) what kind of steering wheel and hub are you using?
Reply With Quote
  #1578  
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Brewie212's Avatar
Brewie212
Status: Offline
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 2,932
I'll get all the info and post it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2219804499.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	161145  
__________________
"Someone once told me not to bite off more than I can chew, I told them I'd rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #1579  
Old October 30th, 2016, 09:52 PM
defender1844
Status: Offline
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 480
my god that is f'in awesome. I've got the exact same steering wheel. Only difference is I have the TMDTuning.com slimline hub. Love to know which paddle shifter unit you used and which of the paddle shifter unit and dakota use the can bus interface. Man, if somehow both could go through the can bus that would be incredible.
Reply With Quote
  #1580  
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:36 PM
nmarkiw
Status: Offline
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
my god that is f'in awesome. I've got the exact same steering wheel. Only difference is I have the TMDTuning.com slimline hub. Love to know which paddle shifter unit you used and which of the paddle shifter unit and dakota use the can bus interface. Man, if somehow both could go through the can bus that would be incredible.


They used my harness with the BCM.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
110 rear disk brake conversion c2sox Defender Technical Discussions 14 September 23rd, 2016 06:23 PM
Diesel Conversion Kits and Shops ChicagoDon Misc. Chit-Chat 25 July 31st, 2012 12:58 PM
detroit diffs, shafts, AEU2522 conversion SeaRover For Sale - Parts 5 February 27th, 2006 09:34 AM
RHD to LHD conversion Reefminis Defender Technical Discussions 5 May 21st, 2005 05:23 PM
Headlamp conversion rustydefender Defender Technical Discussions 21 February 21st, 2005 09:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Copyright