GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 28th, 2014, 12:22 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwhite View Post
To me the cost to performance to reliability, this swap was a no brainer compared to all the other options. I picked up the motor, trans, computer, and all the engine accessories for less the cost of a remanufactured 4.6 long block, and the motor had less than 8K miles on it. Yes, I will probably spend more in the long run swapping a bunch of stuff that I would not need to do if I stuck a rover engine back in there, but it was all stuff that was probably going to fail soon anyways. Iím looking at this project as a mechanical and electrical fresh start. Itís getting a custom chassis harness with wires that have the circuit label printed on them and all the plumbing is going to braided hose.

Good Bye Lucas!!!

Looking forward to the buld thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2014, 12:24 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Already asked.. apparently it's a "no" for this gen.
After thinking about your request, I took a look at the late model GM NV4500. My adapter will mate to that NV4500 providing it has a 32-spline shaft. The only question is will the LT230 clear the gearbox case on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nv4500.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	88717  
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Nice!
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwhite View Post
To me the cost to performance to reliability, this swap was a no brainer compared to all the other options. I picked up the motor, trans, computer, and all the engine accessories for less the cost of a remanufactured 4.6 long block, and the motor had less than 8K miles on it. Yes, I will probably spend more in the long run swapping a bunch of stuff that I would not need to do if I stuck a rover engine back in there, but it was all stuff that was probably going to fail soon anyways. I’m looking at this project as a mechanical and electrical fresh start. It’s getting a custom chassis harness with wires that have the circuit label printed on them and all the plumbing is going to braided hose. Good Bye Lucas!!!
I have that same motor in my '10 Suburban and (knock on wood) that thing has been great now with 70k on it. It moves the burb down the highway at 75 MPH with a ski box, kids, dogs and gear without issue. Last trip to Stowe and back we got 16 Mpg which for the speeds, hills and weight I think is great. I could see this conversion working very well.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I have that same motor in my '10 Suburban and (knock on wood) that thing has been great now with 70k on it. It moves the burb down the highway at 75 MPH with a ski box, kids, dogs and gear without issue. Last trip to Stowe and back we got 16 Mpg which for the speeds, hills and weight I think is great. I could see this conversion working very well.
Speaking of which, you should have come out last weekend!
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What's the predicted mpg for this in a 90?
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:30 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Speaking of which, you should have come out last weekend!
Please don't tell me it was really good. I did a day trip to mtn creek and battled crowds with my 8 year old. Going to Stowe next weekend if you are around and want to take a lap or get a beer.
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:46 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I would guess it could get in the low 20's depending on weight/configuration and driving style. But purely a guess based on what the power plant does in Tahoes and Subs
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Please don't tell me it was really good. I did a day trip to mtn creek and battled crowds with my 8 year old. Going to Stowe next weekend if you are around and want to take a lap or get a beer.
It sucked, I was on a woods trail where snow was getting in my pants pockets. How annoying is that!?!?

You have my contact info for when you get here!
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
I would guess it could get in the low 20's depending on weight/configuration and driving style. But purely a guess based on what the power plant does in Tahoes and Subs
No way.

You'd never touch the 20 mpg mark because it would be way too much fun mashing the gas pedal all the time!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:58 PM
nmarkiw
Nicholas Markiw
1994 NAS D90 LS 5.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
When I ran the Gen III, I got 5 more MPG. No VVT or DoD.
I really can't wait to see the mileage on the trails. Running on 4 cylinders.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Yes he had an adapter made that houses an intermediate shaft to go from the 6 speed to the LT 230.
Very nice adapter work.
Few understand exactly how much work it takes to come up with a built from scratch adapter, prototype and test it, and finally proceed with a unit that could undergo a production run.
Again, well done.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:22 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Aerodynamics of a box say otherwise. But its got to be better than what we got.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
It sucked, I was on a woods trail where snow was getting in my pants pockets. How annoying is that!?!? You have my contact info for when you get here!
Dammit! I hate that too . Good to hear the trees are running.

Will hit you up next week - I am keeping an eye on the weather. If something hits I might pull the kids early.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Aerodynamics of a box say otherwise. But its got to be better than what we got.
I am thinking the aerodynamics can't be that much worse than a big Chevy. Plus with a 90 you could be 2,000 lbs lighter (4,000 vs 6,000). Stock Defender setup I think it could be close.

------ Follow up post added January 28th, 2014 04:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
No way. You'd never touch the 20 mpg mark because it would be way too much fun mashing the gas pedal all the time!
Haha - very true. I can't wait to hear what this setup sounds like too. I bet his truck is going to be very fun to drive!
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:11 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Ive heard aerodynamics play the biggest part of fuel efficiency; it takes a lot of oomph to get a flat object to push forward with that much resistance. I'm no engineer, but the newer pickups have a lot of aerodynamic tricks that help fuel economy such as huge bumper spoilers, active front dampers and grills, more windshield rake, and a much slicker body profile and the lowest drag coefficients ever for trucks. Obviously weight plays a part too.
Old January 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
I used to have an 07 silverado crew; it had a 5.3 with the fuel management system that shuts down cylinders. In the first month of ownership it was stock and got 18-19 mpg commuting... I then put a leveling kit on it and it dropped to 16 mpg solely because of aerodynamics. You could actually watch the system as see how much less frequently it dropped cylinders. I won't even say what it dropped to when I put BFGs on.

Bottom line, aerodynamics absolutely play a big part.

Old January 28th, 2014, 05:58 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Clay let's chat you have my contact info. Here's what I have done and have on the streets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132a.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	88748  
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Ive heard aerodynamics play the biggest part of fuel efficiency; it takes a lot of oomph to get a flat object to push forward with that much resistance. I'm no engineer, but the newer pickups have a lot of aerodynamic tricks that help fuel economy such as huge bumper spoilers, active front dampers and grills, more windshield rake, and a much slicker body profile and the lowest drag coefficients ever for trucks. Obviously weight plays a part too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I used to have an 07 silverado crew; it had a 5.3 with the fuel management system that shuts down cylinders. In the first month of ownership it was stock and got 18-19 mpg commuting... I then put a leveling kit on it and it dropped to 16 mpg solely because of aerodynamics. You could actually watch the system as see how much less frequently it dropped cylinders. I won't even say what it dropped to when I put BFGs on.

Bottom line, aerodynamics absolutely play a big part.
You guys are certainly right. I was optimistically throwing the 20MPG number out there as a Defender getting that MPG with a gas engine would be pretty awesome. And I know aerodynamics is important on the Chevy/GMC's as the hybrid Tahoes have no roof rack and a bigger extra air dam (skinnier tires too IIRC).

But...FWIW - I got 17MPG on the way home from Stowe a couple weeks ago - with a Thule ski box up top, no air dam (it got ripped off a couple years ago on an icy snowbank), and it must have been close to the GVWR limit of 7,400 (we had 900lbs in people and dogs alone). MPH was 70-80 - about 400 miles in 6 hours so I wasn't easy on the throttle either.

I'll be interested to see what this setup yields. It has got to be a few MPG's better than the Rover V8.
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:53 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
You guys are certainly right. I was optimistically throwing the 20MPG number out there as a Defender getting that MPG with a gas engine would be pretty awesome. And I know aerodynamics is important on the Chevy/GMC's as the hybrid Tahoes have no roof rack and a bigger extra air dam (skinnier tires too IIRC).

But...FWIW - I got 17MPG on the way home from Stowe a couple weeks ago - with a Thule ski box up top, no air dam (it got ripped off a couple years ago on an icy snowbank), and it must have been close to the GVWR limit of 7,400 (we had 900lbs in people and dogs alone). MPH was 70-80 - about 400 miles in 6 hours so I wasn't easy on the throttle either.

I'll be interested to see what this setup yields. It has got to be a few MPG's better than the Rover V8.
its all on how you drive it. were getting high teens, but with almost 500hp you don't just cruise around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion