Defender Source Forum banner

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

Tags
conversion
963K views 3K replies 280 participants last post by  LandDefender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

This is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...no change needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,215 ·
Just be aware that that connection and the one below it go into the case. The bolts must have thread sealant or you will get a leak. The upper one that has the stud currently is in front of a gear. Make sure the bolt you use is not too long or it will hit the gear.

#1,220 ·
Ok gotcha, Thread sealer on top/ bottom bolts and 2 dowels.

1.I removed the stud bolt on the transfer case but I still can not rotate the adapter to the correct position as the shift lever is in the way. What am I doing wrong?

2. Just got my Lokar pedal assembly today. Can someone shine some light on what it takes to wire it up?

Thanks everyone for the helpful info....I hope my question help others with there build.

#1,225 · (Edited)
Take off the cross shaft housing and have a look. The fork is located on the shaft with a grub screw that goes into a hole on the shaft inline with the external selector. I'm not sure how it is possible to have been put together wrong.

#1,230 ·
Does anyone in WA/OR/ID have a GM gen IV or LS truck I can look at before I spend a million dollars doing the swap on my Ninety? Anyone taking their GM engined Defender to the Portland ABFM in September?

#1,245 ·
All:

Seriously considering a GM engine for my '85 Ninety...

-Is there a code name for the GM gen IV engine? Are there different versions? What year(s) was it used, and in what?

-What's the best automatic transmission to use?

-Will I have to upgrade my diffs/axles?

-Does anyone make a big brake kit so I can still stop?

-Will the exhaust system need to be built from scratch?

Thanks!

Paul.

#1,272 ·
Nick:

I need an adapter. Do you have any available? I sent you a PM.

Thanks,

Paul.

#1,254 ·
Thanks guys!

For those of you who don't know, I'm building my Ninety to take to the USVI when we retire in 5 years. Very steep hills, max. Speed is 35mph, so I'll need bags of torque.

Before I dive into researching the characteristics of the different displacements, is there one that shines above the rest in terms of low end torque?

I know the Tdi's have good torque, but I really don't want a diesel.

Last stupid question- do they all run on regular petrol?

Thanks again!

Paul.